1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Guitar Center going out of business??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rockinpop, Dec 5, 2013.

1. rockinpop

rockinpop Gold Supporting Member

2. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

I've purchased a couple of things from the local Guitar Center, a Fender MIM P/J, an Ibanez Classical guitar, and a B200 bass amp. I can't say that I'm impressed with their pricing, it's nothing special, and getting 10% or 15% off is possible, but it's like pulling teeth.

What I do like about the local guitar center, is the tech who does the set ups, and repairs. He's REALLY good, and a nice guy on top of that. I try to do my purchases through him.
    If the store closes, Jason, (the Tech) will be a big loss around here, but a lot of the smaller music stores will probably do a little better.

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I hope so i owe them a couple grand!

=)

4. thedude77md

thedude77md Supporting Member

You still will! Their financing is run by a bank they don't own.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

7. Desirsar

Desirsar

I cheat by living in Kansas City. We have one great local store, and one that is owned by a "chain" of independently operated stores. I've heard there are others, but I haven't have a good reason to hunt them down and suffer the moron drivers to get there. I feel bad for anyone who truly only has Guitar Center. If you're going to have to do your own research on products online, might as well buy them there at that point. Guitar Center is still convenient from my job for strings and picks, though...

8. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

In the one in Connecticut closes I feel bad for some of the workers but no big loss as this location is probably the worse in the country. I have never had a positive experience at this one and the employees have always been rude and unfriendly.

9. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

At least there is some warning, Daddy's Junky Music closed doors in the middle of the night without telling anyone including their employees.

Scumbag move-know alot of people who lost their gear or deposits.

10. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I still have a $50 gift card I never used. I guess I better get down there and use it up.

11. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

In Canada we have the same thing going on with Long and McQuade except they don't seem to be suffering at all.

Which is too bad, because they keep buying up the boutique-ey little stores that have more variety. If you go to L&M, while they CAN get most of the better known brands in, for the most part they only ever represent Gibson, Godin, Fender, and PRS on their shelves and everything else takes a while to order.

It's definitely had the "Wal-Mart" effect on the lower stores who just can't compete because of higher overhead and lower notoriety.

12. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

God I hope this is true.

13. rogersjoe

rogersjoe Sakara Bassist Supporting Member

One can only hope that this is accurate. Though I do feel bad for all that people that would be out of work. But I can't imagine they would miss it. Manchester CT is probably the worst store ever. Not just guitar center. I have been to a lot of them while on tour and some of the people were amazing to us and helped us out a bind. The one in Western PA even had the staff come see us play the same night they helped us out. But the one in Manchester wouldn't even order me a bass to try (a bass most of the stores stocked) unless I gave a 25% deposit. I spent over $20,000 their last year when building my studio. And I had to give a 25% deposit to TRY? NOPE

14. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Well, here's a different side to look at. I don't see a ton of shops you guys will like opening up just because GC may close down. They are two different markets. GC customers and mom-n-pop customers generally aren't the same people. If you guys weren't enough to support the mom-n-pops before, you won't be now. Those who would not pay the higher prices demanded to keep a small business afloat will simply go online from here on out. So, it will only serve to LESSEN the amount of basses and amps you will be able to touch and/or hear. No good will come of this no matter how anti-corporation your views are. You will gain nothing by their closing.

15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

When Guitar Center fails, where will I go when I want to become annoyed by teenage wankers? ;)

16. rogersjoe

rogersjoe Sakara Bassist Supporting Member

I am FAR from anti corporation. I am a HUGE supporter of free market capitalism. SOOOO in turn, I am a huge supporter of them getting what they deserve. If you ran your business like crap, you deserve to go under. One of the reasons mom and pop shops have closed is due to the spread of guitar centers. We don't have a guitar center in western massachusetts area. But we did have a Daddy's Junky music. And when Daddy's closed, less than a year later a mom and pop shop opened up a mile from where Daddy's was. They are doing great and even expanding. I will gain the satisfaction of knowing that guitar centers poor customer service and subpar quality instruments will not be spread so easily.

17. shaft311

shaft311

I read a similar article about GC several years ago, and they're still around. That's not to say they haven't gotten worse.

In other news: The Sky Is Falling.

18. 10cc

10cc

Why are they building a new one 15 miles from me if they are shutting down? I hate those stores. A lot of bad experiences in the two others by my house. If they do go down and it's anything like when Mars went under, the liquidators marked everything 50-75% and you should be able to go on over with a pocket full of cash and score something on the cheap. For example I don't really like modulus basses but they sold for $300-$500 new. Who knows and I know I don't care. So why am I writing this?

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Hmmm sounds like my local GC

20. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

There are SEVERAL in CT (one just opened last month in Southington) ... which is one of the reasons GC is struggling ... oversaturation. That said, I may have bought some cables or picks from a GC store, but never a guitar or any other gear. I buy guitars from real guitar shops, and gear from them or for accessories I turn to online stores.

21. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Bring back the privately owned small shop! And don't worry about the GC employees not finding work. They are always hiring at In and Out Burger.