Guitar center or sam ash?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kimpini, May 25, 2008.

?

Guitar center or Sam Ash

1. Sam Ash

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Guitar Center

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. other/online stores

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. Kimpini

Kimpini

Personaly I like sam ash better because the one i go to has a whole bunch of basses whereas the guitar center has like 5. And at sam ash there are less guitards playing some crappy death metal solo on full volume and full disortion. Please comment!
  2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

When I was visiting the states, after looking through a few music stores (you guys really dont realise how spoilt for choice you are!), I did prefer Sam Ash (and bought a bass from them)
  3. Visirale

Visirale

GC. Not only did they pay my paychecks for a year or so... Our sam ash just sucks. A whole bunch of MIM fenders and their "nice" basses are a few MIAs.

Our GC has a full spectrum of fender, musicman, warwick, ibanez, modulus, ampeg, GK, markbass, and others. Not even to get started with keyboards... our sam ash doesn't even have MOOG's in stock. I can go to GC and play 3 or 4 different models of them...

The used gear is a lot more plentiful and better at GC too. I know a lot of people love to hate them, but at least here, GC is in a different league.
  4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Out here all 3 area GC's are weak for basses.
    Thank God for Bass Northwest! No guitard's, just all low end goodness.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fleabee

fleabee Supporting Member

ugh this is like picking poo with corn or poo with peanuts..they're both terrible..sorry had to vent
  7. Marcury

Marcury High and Low Supporting Member

I vote for poo with corn.
  8. jomahu

jomahu

gc. mostly because there isn't a sam ash in boston.
    sam ash in nyc never takes me seriously. :(
  9. Lpspider

Lpspider

Guitar Center, though sometimes I use my local retailer. There isn't a Sam Ash near me, unfortunately.
  10. jollygiantchris

jollygiantchris

GC because if I want to play something someone will actually come to me and I don't have to find someone...However once I DO start playing they keep nagging me every 2 minutes to buy it.
  11. unclekebm

unclekebm

what he said...
  12. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

i try to avoid gc and samash, mostly because i don't like the way these places will try to pass off gear that's missing parts and dented up as new.

if i go anywhere it's a place in kenosha, they have awesome service with a well versed staff and better prices than either of these places.

if i shop online i'll try the perfect bass first if they don't have what i'm looking for i'll go to musciansfriend, i know it's basically the same as gc but at least when i buy something from there i know it'll be new.
  13. tplyons

tplyons

I've got two good GC's fairly local. I've gotten a good deal or two at my local Sam Ash.

I vote for neither. I go to GC first because I can always get out and go down the one way street to Sam Ash, but I can't go the other way around.
  14. anonymous073020132

anonymous073020132 Guest

Here in Richmond, VA most musicians call Sam Ash, "Scam Cash". Thats all I'm gona say. these people here are crooks & the salespeople have no product knowledge. I stick to mom & pop music stores or the Guitar Center thats exactly 100ft. to the left of our Scam Cash store.
  15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Theyre comparable around these parts. Before I would have went with GC, but now that I moved Sam Ash is much closer.
  16. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

they are the same. They are both BAD.

On line, if they dont' have what I want at "BestBassGear", I look at Zzounds. If I actually wanted to buy a new bass on line (as if!!) I'd look at BassCentral, BassAlone, BassSanDiego...

But I *never* look at the GC or SA web sites and I rarely set foot in either of their annoying stores.
  17. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

The Sam Ash and GC are both right down the street from one another in my town. Sam Ash has a bunch of "better than you" dudes working there and GC has a bunch of "too nice" guys working there. I prefer the "too nice" guys myself but Sam Ash seems to take better care of their instruments on the wall so it's a 50/50 draw with me. Also, Sam Ash had an awesome Victor Wooten clinic a couple of weeks ago which made me hate them a little bit less.

I choose the TB classifieds!
  18. 4001

I'll admit that I've bought things from both places, more at GC, but they both suck now. Neither one has a decent bass amp selection to try, at least the stores near me. A lot of the basses aren't playable because they need a setup. The noise level in those stores is annoying too. How could anyone work there everyday eight hours a day? I'd go nuts.
    The salespeople at GC used to be more knowledgeable years ago too.
    Bottom line, those two are like a K-Mart.
  19. 4001

Ain't that the truth. Bunch of twenty-something Jr. salespeople trying to meet their sales numbers or be fired.
  20. uralljckarses

uralljckarses

I work at music store and you guys make me sick, i get more jackasses coming in everyday to pick my brain and then go and buy everything i told them they needed online. plus they have the balls to come back and tell me they did. We work on commission plain and simple. Thing is if your cool to us we are more than happy to be cool to you. Sadly most customers are jackasses! Yes there are idiots working sales due to management trying to find the right guy but seriously if you are all so smart find the guys at the store who are not idiots. You know a lot of guys in music sales try to get you the right thing but the price is always to high. Well screw you then you want cheap fine take it because we make more money on cheap crap then we do on **** we want to sell. we are just like you most of us love the gear but you come in and beat us down so we get bitter and stop caring. Yes you can get **** online for cheaper but who are you getting it from. I want to go on but the only people who get where I am coming from are those who have done it and been through it. You know you think we are the idiots but you have no idea who and what we put up with so go screw yourself and i hope your next online purchase has a crack the size of the grand canyon and you have no one to help you out with it.