Guitar Center Sale Exclusions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kmonk, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I was looking at the GC website and noticed they had a coupon code for $75 off a purchase of $499 or more. I was looking at an Ibanez 5 string and when I tried to apply the coupon code, I saw a message that stated that the code could not be applied. Upon further investigation, I found a list of companies who "Chose Not To Participate" in the promotion. This is not the first time that I have seen this. So my question is Why have a coupon promotion when just about every manufacturer will not participate? Here is the list of companies that do not allow GC or other retailers to apply coupons and discount codes to purchases. As you can see, its very extensive.

Promotion Exclusions
    The following manufacturers have chosen not to participate in this promotion:

65amps, A Designs, ADAM Audio, AKG, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, American Audio, American DJ, Ampeg, Antoine Courtois Paris, Aphex, Apogee, Apple, Armstrong, ART, Arturia, Audio-Technica, Audix, Auralex, Avalon, Avanti, Avid, Azumi, B&S, B3 Guitars, Bach, BAM, BeatKangz, Bedell, Behringer, Belkin, Benchmark, Benchmark Media Systems, Benedetto Guitars, Besson, Bixonic, Black Cat, Blackheart, Blackstar, Blue, Bogner, Bosch, Bose, Boss, Breedlove, Bricasti, Brio, BSS Audio, Buffet Crampon, Bugera, Bundy, Carl Martin, Casio, Cerwin-Vega, Chameleon Labs, Chandler Limited, Charvel, Chauvet, Cleartone, Cloud, Conn, Cordoba Music Group, Courtois, Crate, Crown, Cusack, Daking, Dangerous Music, dbx, Dean, Death By Audio, Diamond, DigiTech, Disney by Washburn, DLS Effects, Drawmer, Dunnett, Drum Workshop, EBS, Eden, Edirol, Elation, Electro-Harmonix, Electro-Voice, Elysia, Emerson, EMG, Eminence, EMMA Electronic, Empirical Labs, Empress Effects, Engl, Epiphone, ESP, Euphonix, Eventide, EVH, F. Loree Paris, Fano Guitars, Fender, Fishman, Focusrite, Fox, Fuchs, Fulltone, Furman, Gallien-Krueger, Galway, Gator, Gemeinhardt, Genz Benz, Getzen, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Gibson USA, Giffin Guitars, GNI Pedals, Godlyke, Gold Tone, Golden Age Project, Grace Design, Great Divide, Great River, Gretsch, Guild, Guyatone, Hagstrom, Hans Hoyer, Hao, Harden Engineering, Harman, Haynes, Hercules, HHB, Hohner, Holton, Ibanez, ISP Technologies, J Puchner, Jackson, JamHub, Jasmine by Takamine, JBL, Jet City Amplification, Jody Jaz, Jupiter, K&M, Kanstul, Kawai, Keeley, Keilwerth, Keith McMillen Instruments, King, Koll Guitars, Korg, Kramer, KRK, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, Langevin, Leblanc, Lexicon, Line 6, LovePedal, LP, LsL Instruments, Ludwig, Luna Guitars, Mackie, Mad Professor, Malekko Heavy Industry, Manley, Mapex, Markbass, Marshall, Martin, Martin-Leblac, Maxon, Meinl, Meinl Weston, Mesa Boogie, Millennia, Miraphone, Mixosaurus, Mogami, Mojave Audio, Moog, Morgan, Music Man, MusicXPC, N-Tune, Neumann, Neve, Nord, Novation, NS Design, Olympus, On-Stage Stands, Option 5, Orange Amplifiers, Ortofon, Ovation, P. Mauriat, Pacific Drums & Percussion (PDP), Paiste, Parker Guitars, Pearl, Peavey, Pelonis Sound and Acoustics, Perris, Phonic, Pigtronix, Pioneer, Powell, Prelude by Conn-Selmer, PreSonus, Propellerhead, PRS, Purple Audio, QSC, Quik Lok, Radial Engineering, Rainsong, Randall, Rane, Reunion Blues, Rickenbacker, Rivera, RME, Roc-N-Soc, Rockbag by Warwick, Rockbass by Warwick, Rockcase by Warwick, RockStand by Warwick, Rode Microphones, Roland, Royer, Rupert Neve Designs, Sabian, Sample Logic, Schecter Guitar Research, Scherzer, Schilke, Schreiber, Schroeder, Schroeder Guitars, Selmer, Selmer Paris, Sennheiser, Serato, Shure, SKB, SM Pro Audio, Softube, Solid State Logic, Sonare, Soul, Soundcraft, Squier, Stanton, Steinberg, Steinberger, Stephanhouser, Sterling by MusicMan, Summit Audio, Sweet Sound Electronic, SWR, T-REX Engineering, Takamine, Tama, Tapco, Taylor, TDK, Tech 21, Telefunken, Thermionic Culture, Toadworks, Tobias, Tone King, Tortuga, Traveler Guitar, Traynor, True Systems, Tube-Tech, Two Rock, Ultimate Support, Universal Audio, Vestax, Violet Audio, Vito, VMI, Voodoo Lab, VOX, W. Nirschl, Waldorf, Wampler, Warwick, Washburn, Weber Speakers, Western Digital, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, Yamaha Band & Orchestra, Yanagisawa, Zildjian, Zoom, ZVex Effects
  2. trevcda

trevcda

Seems like a shorter list might have been one inclusive of participating manufacturers.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Agreed!
  4. bombjack

bombjack

I wonder why these companies would want to be excluded? Does GC stock and sell their merchandise but only pay for what's been sold? Like on consignment? I obviously have no idea how retail works!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Actually, they will usually apply the coupon anyway if you call them and ask. They just don't advertise it.
  7. sgiacomo

sgiacomo Supporting Member

+1 Friendly phone worked for me earlier this week, it seems most everything is negotiable with the economy and year end sales quotas. It is a buyer's market on anything discretionary if you are fortunate enough to be in a position to afford it :bassist:
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+ 1 the phone usually works
  9. gkbass13

gkbass13

Anyone have any luck with Fender on deals like this? Been itching for a new jazz bass...
  10. guy n. cognito

Yes.
  11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

"I was looking at the GC website and noticed they had a coupon code for $75 off a purchase of $499 or more."

This equates to a 15% discount - the same 15% discount that GC offers in their almost-weekly flyers.
    If you go to any GC & speak to the manager, you can usually get 15% off of any purchase of more than $100 or so, even if you don't have a coupon at all.
    I miss the old days when you could go in to just about any music store or car dealer & haggle a great price - I used to be able to routinely get 25% & 30% discounts just by negotiating & paying in cash.
  12. edbass

edbass

It's because of MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the manufacturers. Those items are already being advertised for the lowest price that their agreement allows, if they don't exclude them from the "sales" they would be in violation of those agreements.

That doesn't mean they won't honor the discount on those items, it just means they aren't advertising those discounts on those products.

Sorry GC haters; it’s not a conspiracy or misleading advertising. ;)

Yes, there is no "free lunch"... "Haggling" might make you feel like you accomplished something, but things have always cost what they cost. The difference is that now days anybody with a smart phone can shop your competitor's price in your store; most retail stores have kiosks so you can even do it without your own internet access.
    The "wiggle room, feel good" margins are gone; and with them most of the fun of "haggling".

What does "paying in cash" have to do with getting the best price? :confused:
    Did you know car dealers actually make more profit if you finance rather than pay cash? Most dealerships pay healthy bonuses to their sales staff if they can maintain a specific percentage of finance penetration numbers, the higher the percentage of financed over cash deals gets the bigger the incentive is.
  13. warnergt

warnergt

Because the seller doesn't have to pay the credit card fees --
    typically about 3%. Cash is king.

Yes but they aren't dealing with credit card companies. They
    get a kickback from the loan provider.
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

And depending on the store, taxes. Probably not in GC's case though
  15. warnergt

warnergt

Just picked up a new high end Fender guitar this week with
    15 % off from MF. At the time, they weren't offering 15%
    off. They are very flexible. You just need to call and be a
    little insistent. You don't need to be a super negotiator.

I told them I needed 15% off. She said, "I have to talk to
    the manager about that." She came back a few minutes
    later and countered offered with some items that I don't
    need like strings, a capo and overnight shipping.

I told her that wouldn't work and I needed the 15% to seal
    the deal. She said she had to talk to her manager again.
    She came back a minute later and said, "OK."
  16. warnergt

warnergt

Once in a blue moon, they have sales with 20% off. Those are
    the best.

A few years back, I picked up my Fender 215 PRO bass cab
    from MF with 20% off, no tax and free shipping. That was a
    sweet deal. But you have to call to get the discount; you can't
    do it over the website.
  17. bombjack

bombjack

Thanks edbass! Now I know! :D
  18. guy n. cognito

Car dealers receive fees from lenders to steer financing in their direction. Retailers pay CC companies anywhere from 1-3% for the use of their system. Not comparable.
  19. edbass

edbass

Dealerships don’t get a “fee” per se, they can obtain the paper at a certain base APR and then contract the consumer at a higher rate, and they earn a reserve on the difference.
    As far as relevance or being comparable, my response was to this comment.

Also, a few things about credit cards at big box stores. Do you believe that the CC vig has an effect on the final retail price of an item to the consumer, that it actually comes into play regarding what they will sell an item for?

Does the GC or MF website lower the price of items in your shopping cart if you choose “debit” (no CC surcharge to retailer) as method of payment?

Have you personally experienced a Guitar Center giving a larger discount because of paying cash over credit, or has the method of payment been brought up by a salesperson before the price was settled?

If you have, ask to see the store’s General Manager and I’ll wager that not only will they honor the “cash price” using your plastic, but that the salesperson will be “corrected” for even suggesting that you could get a better deal using cash over a credit card.

But don’t take my word for it; go ahead and ask the store manager at any big box store if they offer a better deal for cash buyers.
    In fact, the majority of credit card companies have a “no consumer surcharge” or similar restrictions clause written into their retailer agreements prohibiting such practices, and even if not the convenience factor alone would likely be disastrous to the stores sales via customers shopping for the same items at stores where they could get the best prices while using credit cards.

One final tidbit regarding cash being used as a bargaining tool in getting a lower retail price vs credit cards; in the states of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas it’s illegal.
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I bought two Shure Super 55s at 15 percent off during a sale. Shure is always on the exclusion list, and they are pretty strict about not advertising below MAP. GC puts companies like Shure on the list to avoid violating an agreement not to advertise prices below MAP. But they can sell stuff for whatever they want.
  21. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Yeah they pretty much do business just like this. In fact they are BILLIONS of dollars in debt AND owned by the dreaded Bain Capital. It's going to be an interesting ride when GC goes down the tubes. All they seem to have done to the industry is devalue instruments and make it impossible for anyone to make an actual living working in the musical instrument retail world. They are the Wal Mart of guitar stores.

Wow If I spell Wal Mart correctly it creates a link! Ewwww.....