Guitar center set up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ghostrider, Nov 24, 2012.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider

As anyone ever gotten their bass set up by a guitar center tech? Any thoughts on what they did well or wrong? And how much did you pay?
  2. Steveaux

Steveaux

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Every single one is different. GC doesn't do a lot of training for their techs, they tend to hire people who already have some experience. Just depends on the person.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    That's what I was going to say.
  5. James Judson

James Judson

I would stay away from GC advise for the reasons already mentioned. Their consistency for knowledgeable staff is questionable at best (sometimes I'm wrong here but why take the chance). I would go to the mom and pop shops and ask who they use and then go right to the source.
  6. dtripoli

dtripoli

Normally I would also agree, getting guitar work at GC can be sketchy at best but it depends on the store.
    I got some great advice from the new luthier at the Pasadena, CA store. Lauren T. was pretty knowledgeable about bass electronics and walk me through wiring process. Haven't had any actual work done as I'm a do-it-yourself guy unless it comes to refretting.
  7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Yes, learn to do your own. Better yet, if you live in a metropolitan area, hook up with a fellow TBer who has some experience in this arena. Nothing wrong with a quality set-up by a pro provided he demonstrates what's right & wrong and method of remediation. Two-way dialogue is a must. Stay away from techs who simply snatch the bass from your hands and say "it will be done in 5-7 days".

Riis
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Guitar set up at GC? Never. Just, never.
  10. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

I was insulted (by someone who should know better) in another thread for my opinions on GC (and a lot of chain stores) and their lack of knowledge in matters like this. Guess he told me, huh. :rolleyes:

Once you slowly walk through the steps doing your own setup is cheaper and fun. If there's something you can't handle find someone (through your player friends or the M&P stores there) that is capable and will listen to what you're saying.

But follow these links and try for yourself. Once you've made the bass more playable it's quite fulfilling. Good luck!
  11. bolophonic

bolophonic

It varies too much from store to store. If you have a Guitar Center nearby, then there are probably better options locally.
  12. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

The "pro"at my local gc round told me that CTS was a style of pot, not a brand.
  13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

My tech Jimmy works at the local GC this guy is incredible he does all of my work and I like the set prices I tried a local "luthier" and after all the little extras he did the price was almost double and he never gave me a heads up before doing the extra work he's considered one of the best in the area I wasn't impressed. I never thought I would find someone at a Guitar Center but I did and I'm very happy.I asked my tech if he thought about opening his own place and he said he's getting a good salary and benefits and plenty of customers who needs the hassle of starting your own business I couldn't argue that one.
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I bought a used Precision at GC. They had a tech set it up but it wasn't right. I ended up doing it myself. It really depends on the person they have doing it.
  15. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Ignorance happens everywhere - f'rinstance NASA was a good example.

Talk to the guy in the GC Garage and while you do, watch what he's doing to other gear that he's working one.

Get to know him (the guy in the GC/Murietta CA is very good) you will know whether you want him to work on your stuff or not.
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Like everyone says it's hit or miss I agree with Surfer you have to get to know the people who work on your gear and watch how they handle stuff my tech is a guitar player and knows how to handle gear he takes his time polishes everything almost obsessively and he goes over what he did and how he did it. I could learn to do my own setups but when I was younger I didn't have the patience now that I'm older I'm lazy I just like to take my stuff somewhere and get it done but I really respect and admire people who do it themselves.
  17. Cookye

Cookye

The Guitar Center in Orange CT. had a phenomenal tech who did a fret job and set-up on an Alembic. He no longer works there and as already stated they don't seem to have any consistency when it comes to technicians.
  18. frianbisher

frianbisher

I would have to say give us a shot. You would be surprised at how knowledgeable a lot of us are. We all come from various backgrounds so it never hurts to stop in and get to know your local tech and get a feel for his (or her) abilities.
  19. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

I'd say that couldn't hurt to give them a chance at least if you feel you're not ready to tackle it yourself. And like we're seeing, you can't paint all the GC's with the same brush. You might get lucky.
  20. ghostrider

ghostrider

Alright thanks for the advice