Guitar compression pedal for bass -- any problems?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alanthing, Apr 3, 2014.

1. alanthing

alanthing

A few years ago, I put together the BYOC 5-Knob Compressor [PDF] which is advertised as a guitar pedal. I'm just getting into bass effects and don't know the various differences between guitar and bass pedals in terms of being designed for specific frequencies, at least as far as compressors go. For instance, I tried my guitar Big Muff on my bass and it sounded awful, but what about my compressor? Despite doing a kit, I don't know jack about the components that went into it- would they be able to perform the same functionality with the lower frequencies?

2. Crater

Crater

Just try it and see...you won't hurt your compressor by running a bass through it. Make sure the 'tone' knob is turned all the way down for maximum bass response. Use your ears, if you like the sound you're getting, you're good.

3. alanthing

alanthing

Good tip on the tone knob setting, thanks.

4. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Here's a review of the BYOC from our resident font of compressor knowledge: http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/byoc5k.shtml

But in general, some compressors work better for bass than others, but there's no hard and fast rule that says that you need a compressor designed for bass. In fact, plenty of the most revered compressors here were not designed specifically for bass, and some that were don't necessarily get great reviews.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. alanthing

alanthing

Huh, interesting. I'm admittedly not great with my understanding of compressors, nor with bass frequencies, but that's great to keep in mind. Thank you!

7. Tomorrow

Tomorrow

It's been my experience that generally, any kind of dirt or distortion from a guitar pedal will cause you to either lose some low end, or muddy up your sound. Other pedals I've used (reverb, chorus, flanger, etc.) seem to work just fine with my setup. I'm sure each pedal is different, as is everyone's ears.

8. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I would say get one and try it. A lot of online music dealers have good return policies. I like a few of them.used the older discontinued boss cs2 and also the Keeley in the studio. Thought they sounded pretty good actually