1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guitar for a bass player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by el murdoque, Feb 27, 2014.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

I figured that my bassplay can actually improve if i picked up playing guitar. My technique on the bass is sufficient for what i do now and i feel that i need more theoretical knowledge, especially chords. For me, it's a lot faster and easier to achieve this with a new instrument.
    But i'm totally undecided on what kind of guitar to pick - electric, semiacoustic, concert or western .. right now, i'm leaning towards nylon strings because these guitars seem to have a wider neck and might make it easier for me to change. But i'm sure there are a few guys here that had more than a decade of playing bass prior to picking up guitar that can share their experiences ?
  2. TrickPanda

TrickPanda

I don't think that it makes a lot of difference, your fingers soon work out what they need to do. So try a few and go for what feels right.
  3. oysteivi

oysteivi

I'd pick electric, so I could rock out with some heavy effects when I'm bored with practicing.
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I would not go for a nylon string classical. I would either go with a simple acoustic (if you want some lovely Martin copies at amazing prices check out Sigma) or with a simple electric - like a Mexi-made Fender tele or strat.

For me - there is no question that playing guitar helps my bass playing.
  5. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Most acoustics tend to have a little more depth to the neck profile which can make things easier(doesn't feel so much like you're holding a toothpick) and Les Pauls also have a nice thick neck if you go the electric route. Acoustic is nice because it doesn't require purchasing amps etc. and the fixed bridge and angled headstock makes for pretty stable tuning and nice sustain similar to bass features(note same features on a Les Paul). If you go with an electric I would still look for a fixed bridge(SG, Telecaster, most semi-hollows, etc) because tremolo's can be pretty frustrating if you're just starting out. Learning guitar will definitely help and I wish you the best, it's a lot of fun!
  6. sinbad7

sinbad7

I started on bass and then picked up guitar also just for fun. I don't think it will really help with bass a whole lot because you play them very differently. It might help your speed a bit but that's probably it. On the other hand, I usually write songs for my band on guitar and then go back and write my bass line, and when my guitarist writes a song, I tend to learn it on guitar then write and learn my bass line. So I don't think it'll help your playing much at all, but you might find it help in other ways. That being said, I would definitely go with a nice electric guitar.
  7. ljholland

ljholland

I'm a 30+ year guitar player that's learning bass. I would pick a guitar based on what you might actually get to play with others. The reason I say this is that the guitar will likely become a closet queen as you won't have a lot of motivation to learn to play without something to push you. For me, learning to play bass has a practical application as I can sometimes fill in at the open mic night. Thus, I have a good motivation (not looking stupid in public!!).

With regard to nylon strings specifically, a nylon is very much a solo player instrument best suited for home use as it lacks projection unless amplified.

I don't think that neck width would be a factor in this decision. I have almost 20 guitars and they're all different.....as is my bass. Once you pick up an axe, your hands adapt. I might avoid some of the very narrow necked guitars like Ernie Balls or Rickenbachers....they're tight for even a guitarist.

I'd just suggest getting the guitar you think you'll like to play because of the style. If your influences are Strat players...go for any used MIM strat. A Classic Vibe tele is a fine guitar that can cover all styles of music. If Les Pauls or 335s do it, most of the second tier Epiphones are nice (the first tier Chinese models are hit or miss). I usually steer players to PRS's SE line of guitars as they are probably the best bang for the buck in terms of quality and sound.

And by the way....bass playing has certainly helped my guitar playing. I think my timing is a bit better...but I think more time playing any instrument is always helpful.
  8. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Playing guitar didn't help my bass playing. It did, however, help me to fit in a context with my bass playing, and help me understand a song better. Also, it's a million times easier writing basslines to guitar parts than the other way around. Much easier for comprehensive songwriting.
  9. pklima

pklima

If you want to learn another instrument that will help you both hear and visualize theory, the best answer by far is "piano".

But if a guitar is what you want and you're not planning to use it to play live with a band, then nylon-string classical is a good option. More room between the strings and you don't need to use a pick.
  10. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I agree that playing guitar can help one to become a better bassist - just as playing bass can help one to become a better guitarist. But in terms of the particular style of guitar you choose, it's strictly a matter of the styles/genres of music you prefer to play.

For your primary purposes, i.e. learning applied harmony & chordal theory, any guitar will suffice. The important thing is the number of strings and tuning of the strings, relative to the fretboard.

MM
  11. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Get a Stratocaster.
  12. higain617

higain617

Those 2014 Gibson SGJ's are great for $499. The one I tried screamed right off the shelf.
  13. ZenG

ZenG

I dislike electrics for songwriting.......

Actually the only reason I ever liked electrics was because I could go Carlos Santana on my self when the need arose.

and generally speaking the necks/frets tend to be "faster".

I personally have big hands and have try out a lot of guitars until I find one I'm comfortable with and is a joy to play.

I don't care what anybody says...when you have sausage fingers there are some chords that are not going to be on your play list......unless you find a suitable guitar.

Oddly enough , the more I play bass, the more I want to keep a guitar around to side-noodle.

I have a 6 string acoustic.....(steel strings) which I got ages ago for a sweet deal where I got it for almost peanuts.

It's a nice guitar but I simply don't like playing it that much.
    The frets and neck are too cramped for me.

I will be going the nylon classical route in awhile...with the right mics,amp and pedals you can make it sound like anything you want...as other posters have pointed out in threads..

Personally I find that when you jump between instruments
    that are not similar you have to go through an "adaptation" phase all over again....

I tend to go back and forth from bass to keyboard....fingers are always having to re-adapt.
  14. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I'm picking up a cheap acoustic so I can familiarize myself with those cool jazz chords I'm playing underneath.
  15. gretzke

gretzke

16. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Lots of good advice above, but I generally agree with MysticMichael in that you should choose the type of guitar that suits your preference in style of music. This will make it more fun and maybe even practical one day.

I was a bass player first, but played classical guitar off and on for a long time and, more recently, electric guitar. The string spacing and fingerstyle on the classical was easiest for me to adapt to, but if you're doing this to learn something new, then you don't necessarily need to go with the easiest option.
  17. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

It sort of depends on what styles you are likely to concentrate on. I used to have an Ibanez hollow body that I really enjoyed, used a line 6 amp and got a good range of sounds from that setup.
  18. Bocete

Bocete Supporting Member

I followed the same train of thought recently and bought a 30" scale 7 string. Still felt like a toy.
  19. spade2you

spade2you

I have an archtop 7 and it's about the size of my Rob Allen basses.
  20. Icey101

Icey101

if your going to start playing guitar you'll soon get one of everything. If I had it over i would only buy a quality guitar. If you have the money a nice martin steel acoustic with pickup, then a nice amercian standard strat or tele. You can plug these into your bass rig and buy a guitar amp later. If you like gibson go an SG as you can play up high easirer. All my guitars have low action and are easy to play.