1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Guitar frequency range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by manchild, Jan 19, 2014.

1. manchild

manchild

I was in the studio today and was playing around with the PA systems eq section while on break (I play through that in paractice and D.I during gigs).

The system I was using has a shelving 'dip' button for 80hz to attenuate anything under that frequency. I found that with everything flat there didnt seem to be very much of a difference at all. Also the treble (12khz) and high mid (2khz) didnt seem to alter the sound either (cut and boosted by 15db).

Does this mean that with volume and tone on full my guitar range is 80hz to 2khz? Is it only an active bass that goes into treble/tweeter territory?

I play a Yamaha BB424 with the P pickup selected and both tone and volume wide open.

Just wondered what others experience is with this?

Thanks.

2. manchild

manchild

Anyone got any info on this? Thanks.

3. BowserBass

BowserBass

sounds like you didn't engage the eq. 80hz roll-off should be noticeable, same as 2k +/- 15db. 12k not so much.

4. manchild

manchild

Yeah it does sound like that I know, but when I moved the mids it was noticeable...
    What is the normal range of a passive bass (in general) do you know?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Duckwater

Duckwater

40hz-16000hz or so for a 4 string in standard

7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Pretty much, yes. There's not much that's musical to the human ear below 80Hz in any case - a lot of bass amps have a permanent high-pass filter right around there, to keep the power amp from working hard for no good reason.
    Maybe a tad, but less than you might imagine. I can certainly hear EQ effects for bands above 2KHz with my active bass, but it's pretty darned subtle.

8. manchild

manchild

Nice one. Thanks for the replies guys. Gives me some info to think about when deciding on gear :)

9. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Here is a frequency chart:

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

The open low B string (i.e. B0), on a "standard tuned" 5 string bass is 31 Hz.
    The open G (i.e. G2) string is 98 Hz.
    So, if it's a 24 fret bass, the highest G (i.e. G string, 24th fret, aka G4) is 392 Hz.

All that said, a LOT of what you hear when you play any of those notes is higher frequency harmonics/overtones.

In other words, even though the range of the fundamental notes is 30 - 400 Hz, if you were to use an EQ to kill everything above 400, you would easily tell that you have cut out a LOT of your sound.

10. manchild

manchild

Thanks Stuart. That's some good information. That range covers all but only the fundamental of each note?

What I take from that is that, is that a lot of our sound comes from harmonics and overtones. In some cases it would be most of our sound?

Thanks.

11. wrench45us

wrench45us

sometimes that > 12 KHz range is used for 'presence'

a nebulous term, but in a recording it's like you're a few inches from being there