Guitar Jones pickups? Has anybody here used them?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 21, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I recently bought some pickups from Ebay seller gj_guitars who apparently either makes and sells or just sells pickups that are made with Guitar Jones parts. I know for a fact that these are quality parts - lots of pickup makers use them. Has anybody here use them?

Here are some pics of the ones I bought:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They sure look well made!
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The eBay seller is selling them for Guitar Jones USA, who in turn is the US distributor for WSC (WooSung Chorus) Music in Korea who also makes Tune basses.

http://tuneguitars.com/wscmusic/
  3. fourstringbliss

Is the stuff they sell decent? The prices are really low but they look like well made pickups.
  4. compressit

compressit Supporting Member

I have been looking at that very MM bridge/ J neck combo only 5 string. Did you get ceramic or Alnico? Please post your impressions when you get these installed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fourstringbliss

Will do. I got the ceramic because they didn't have an alnico version of the J and I didn't want to mix ceramic with alnico. It was hard to go wrong at $23 a pup! They look nicely made, huh?

They're going in on this bass:

[​IMG]

I'm planning on splitting the MM so that it's series/north coil/parallel. That would give me something close to 60's J spacing when the MM is in single-coil. If that doesn't do it for me I'll switch it to series/south coil/parallel.

I'll post pics and sound clips when I'm finished.
  7. compressit

compressit Supporting Member

I have the identical only 5 string. Ceramic may be a little to crispy for me though. Get busy dude, anxious to hear what you hear.
  8. fourstringbliss

The pickups are coming in on Wednesday. I was a little concerned about the highs with the ceramics, but I've been using G&L L2000 Tributes for a while. L2000 humbuckers have ceramic magnets and iron pole pieces - shouldn't be that different from these which have ceramic magnets and steel pole pieces. If the highs get too bright/sharp you could always turn the treble down. I play through a Zoom B3 and use flats on my basses, so I'm not too worried about the highs.
  9. fourstringbliss

Here's what SGD Lutherie said about ceramics vs. alnicos:

"Ceramic magnets are stronger, so they tend to be brighter sounding. MM ceramic magnet pickups use steel poles. The steel will raise the inductance even higher than the alnico, so you get a fat low end with a bright top end.

Alnico is metallic, being made of aluminum, nickel, cobalt and iron, so it raises the inductance and produces a softer warmer tone.

I've installed both the ceramic and alnico Basslines MM pickups for customers, and they are probably similar to the EB pickups. The ceramic were brighter with more top end bite. The alnicos had a warmer tone."

I personally found that if I raised the L2000 pickups close to the strings I got a harsh kind of sound good for rock. I tended to lower the pickups almost all the way down and consistently got good tones.
  10. cwebsterlusk

cwebsterlusk

Stumbled across this after seeing these pups on ebay. Anyone care to comment on tone, versatility, anything?
  11. fourstringbliss

I'm back wondering about these pups. Anybody here used them?
  12. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

i bought a Guitar Jones jazz bridge 5 string Alnico magnet pickup to replace an old USA Fender jazz V bridge pickup. got it for a very affordable price on eBay, the thing looked very well made, copper shielded all over.. i went to the trouble of staggering the pole pieces to raise the center poles before installing, as i usually have to do w/ any 5 string jazz p/u, and the end result is a quite good and even sounding jazz bridge p/u. Nothing much to say, other than it sounds like it should, and seems to blend well w/ the old USA Fender neck p/u i still have on board. I'm having a humming issue on the bass in question which i think has nothing to do w/ the new p/u, but as a result, i can't quite speak to the noise level of the bridge p/u. it is single coil, and so far it behaves much like the USA Fender p/u, which i like. I like the Fender sound, a clean, classic sound, none of the "jazz bass on steroids" muck you get w/ a lot of boutique stuff. Just a balanced, classic single coil tone.. i know how to EQ a bass like that. Good value p/u, will probably buy their neck p/u eventually, and probably will try some 4 string jazz variety too. cheers.
  13. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Ok, the humming was a result of the Fender neck p/up and the Guitar Jones bridge p/up not being compatible, something to do w/ polarity or windings.. they would not become hum bucking when both were on, unless i switched the wiring, which caused them to go out of phase (not in the slightly out of phase classic J bass way, but in a tone killing, makes the bass useless w/ both p/ups on full totally out of phase kinda way).

So i bought the Guitar Jones Jazz V neck p/up to match the Guitar Jones Jazz V bridge p/up i recently installed, staggered the poles as i like them (by shoving the magnets from the underside w/ the end of a Fender truss rod tool, not for the faint of heart), and now the bass is sounding great in every p/up position, hum canceling when both are up full, classic Fender-ish single coil Alnico sound.