Guitar Power amp/preamp for Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tildeslash, Nov 26, 2012.

1. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

I am a guitar player exploring playing bass.
    A friend is loaning me a bass cab and amp temporarily.

I know using guitar amp is a no no so I plan on buying a dedicated bass cabinet but don't want to buy a bass amp for the moment. But....I am looking to leverage my current gear for bass. Will this help?

Marshall 9005 Tube Guitar power amp
    Mosvalve MV-962 solid state power amp
    Tech 21 PSA-1 Guitar Preamp
    Digitech Twin Tube Guitar Preamp
    Marshall 9001 tube Guitar Preamp

Can I use the above poweramp/preamp combos with a dedicated Bass Cabinet like MarkBass or Hartke etc....

Or I can't really use the Guitar power amp/preamp for anything else other than Guitar.
  2. ntenny

ntenny

The power amp shouldn't be an issue. It won't hurt a guitar preamp any to use it for bass, but the EQ will probably be voiced funny, and it may or may not push enough bottom end to sound good. I can't speak to the specific preamps you've got, but they're certainly worth a try.

There are some cheap bass preamps around, and actually some active basses are hot enough to drive a power amp directly.

-NT
  3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

E.Q. points will be different then a bass preamp, and there will probably be low end roll off.

As far as power amps, it will work no problem, but may not be powerful enough when pushing bass frquencies. Bass amps generally need around 4X the power of guitar to compete.
  4. dincz

dincz

As they said, but if it's parametric EQ, you can dial in whatever you need.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

A lot of people use the PSA-1 for bass.

PSA-1 + Marshall 9005 = Win
  7. nicoli

nicoli

IME, all tube Marshall guitar rigs sound great for bass assuming you have the proper cabinet. It's a different sound than you'd get from a system designed for bass but to me it sounds pretty godly. Try it out and switch it up if you need something different.
  8. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

What about a cabinet Gallien Krueger 212MBE 4 ohm neo cab that is 600 watts and 4 ohms.

My head is 4 ohm compatible but only 100 watts.
    Any issues pro/cons of using a low powered head with a higher wattage capacity bass cabinet?