1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Guitar pup q: Adding a steel base plate to dimarzio area t

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cstar, Mar 25, 2014.

1. cstar

cstar

So this is a guitar pickup question but I figured someone ought to know the answer.

So, telecaster bridge pickups traditionally have copper plated steel base plates, to which the pickup is grounded, yes?

Some replacement telecaster pickups don't have them, such as the Dimarzio area t. Is there any reason why you couldn't add one of these plates to a Dimarzio area t bridge pickup (and that means the ground needs to re-soldered to the steel plate, right?)? I realize that the steel plate has a definite electrical function/effect on the pickups and its field, etc... so I'm curious why the area t doesn't have a steel base plate and what would happen if I did add one. Thanks, any input is appreciated.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The plate is basically a shield, and isn't particularly necessary if the bass is already quiet.

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I thought you can alter the inductance of the pickup by attaching a base plate as well?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can you? What does that do?

:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cstar

cstar

Thanks for the replies. So I'm told, the metal that a pickup bass plate has a decent amount to do with the overall tone and clarity of a pickup, because of currents that travel across it. For example, most humbuckers have a nickel silver (?) base, but some cheap ones have brass bass plates, and many people agree that brass base plates and covers greatly cut the the high frequencies. I'm told that's why a '52 Telecaster neck pickup is darker/bassier than most, because it has a brass cover. People have told me that the steel plate has a non-negligible effect on the voice of a telecaster bridge pickup, so I'm wondering why the area t bridge doesn't have one and what adding one would do. Thanks.