1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guitar Stand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brianerwin, Nov 25, 2012.

1. brianerwin

brianerwin

I am trying to figure out what I would like to use for a really
    good guitar stand for my bass. In searching, I found a couple that seem pretty good.
    First one looks good to me is the Hercules Guitar Stand http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hercules-stands-gs402b-mini-electric-guitar-and-bass-guitar-stand which folds down.
    Second one that I am really drawn to is called the Talon by Shubb http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/shubb-talon-electric-guitar-stand?src=3WWRWXGP

What is the opinion here and any other suggestions about great bass guitar stands?

I have the Ibanez SR505 bass.
  2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I have several Hercules stands and really like them. Not as safe as a wall hook but best of the floor stands that I have seen.
  3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

4. northernmonkey

northernmonkey

If it's for in the home, then a wall hook every time
  5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I disagree. If it's for home, a hard shell case all the time. Wall hooks are ok for TEMPORARY use, like during rehearsal, but then you should clean it and put it in it's case. For gig use there are a lot of acceptable options. I prefer the folding 5 guitar stand from On Stage, but Hercules is a very well liked stand as well.
  6. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

+1. Great stand. I have a non-folding arm version for home use.

The little Hercules is a great stand. I use one on stage for my P-Bass and it works great. The little arms are adjustable so you can move them to accommodate the cable when it's plugged in. Your bass should be fine since it seems that the part of the bass that will be resting on the stand is symmetrical. It's not such a great stand for Jazz or asymmetrical basses, so I just ordered one of these for those basses:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-universal-a-frame-electric-guitar-stand.

For home use, pretty much any decent padded stand will do, provided it isn't around running kids, crazy pets and other stuff that could potentially knock it over.
  7. mcglyph

mcglyph

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Spend the extra $$ and buy the full-size Hercules stand with the neck-corral at the top. I find them to be more stable. I have a couple of the Warwick 5-space folding racks which I use at home.

Riis
  9. warnergt

warnergt

I have two of the three stands already mentioned. Both are
    good but not great.
    [​IMG]

The short stand is pretty cool that it folds up into a very small
    piece nicely stuffs into the corner of your equipment case.
    However, it is so short, any bass standing in it is very top
    heavy and an accident waiting to happen. Also, to stand the
    bass most securely against the bottom supports, you have to
    lean it way back. Again, it looks like an accident waiting to
    happen. I like the looks and portability of this stand but I
    never feel comfortable with it.

[​IMG]

This tall Hercules stand was actually recommended to me by
    a very famous bass player. He liked the locking mechanism
    which closes around the neck when pulled down from the
    weight of the bass. So, I picked up one. The problem I have
    with this stand is that the internal mechanism (teeth, I'm
    guessing) gets hung up before it closes all the way. I pinned
    the problem down to my asymetric P bass headstock. The
    left side pushed down on the mechanism before the right
    side. The Hercules mechanism doesn't like this and jams.
    I have a love/hate relationship with this stand. I have to
    push down on the top with my free hand to get it to clasp
    my bass properly. This is supposed to make my life easier
    but it doesn't. Again, it's a beautiful looking stand and a
    great idea. Something went wrong with the implementation.
  10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I like the ones at GC that cost about $5. You know, the box of scratched up ones that used to hold the guitars that are kept on the floor.

The only time I had an instrument fall out of one is because someone ran into it. Any of the stands mentioned above will be just as easy to knock over or knock basses out of.

I really like wall hangers. I use sledge hammer hangers that are perfect size for all of my instruments.
  11. brianerwin

brianerwin

ok I have a funny story that goes along with why I am looking at a good guitar stand...
    My wife has a son with autism and adhd and last christmas, we are sitting in the living room opening presents, normal right????
    Well we got up and had coffee and I just know that her son is going to knock my coffee over because he gets excited around christmas time and will kick it over. So I am thinking that I will be smart and sit on the floor and sort of hide the cup between me and the couch, sort of like I was blocking it. Not too long into the gift opening he runs right between me and the couch and you guessed it.... Knocked it clean over!!!!
    My wife saw me put it there and even gave me a nod of assurance that it was safe.
    I can now say that it wasn't.
    Enter new bass guitar....... need I say more??
    I have the "Off the Wall" wall hanger I got from guitar center and I have it hanging about a foot and a half from the ceiling and in the deepest corner in the room.
    Basically right next to the bed and no traffic in that corner of the room.... Lets just hope that my guitar is safe when I hang it there. Otherwise It stays in the case under the bed.
    And I take it out everyday since I got it and it gets played a couple hours a day. Still learning it but slowly getting better.