Guitar through a bass rig! No, I'm not kidding

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jostraco, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jostraco

jostraco

Ok, let me explain, my band does not have a bass player, I play guitar tuned to drop B through a bass rig and a guitar rig. The guitar providing the mid and high frequencies, and the bass obviously providing all the low end. I play a Tubescreamer through the guitar rig, and a Fulltone OCD through the bass rig. We play very fast, sometimes slow, very heavy, very loud, grinding and spastic hardcore (not XXX hardcore) Think a blend of Botch and Black Cobra. I know this all may sound like blasphemy to the bass community, but it is what it is, and i feel like this might be the only place that can help me.. My setup is as follows.. My guitar rig is a 77 Marshall 100w JMP Super Lead, through an orange 4x12 and 2x12. My bass cabinet is a custom built 4x15. I originally was using a JCM 800 MKII Super Bass, but it just couldnt deliver the low end at the volumes needed to keep up with the JMP, or my loud ass drummer. So I sold it, and for the time being, until I get a new head, my friend is letting me use his Ampeg B4R. I will say, that the B4R sounds amazing, and does get loud enough, my only problem is that when i dial in the volume to where it needs to be, it doesnt stop peaking. I feel like i need something with some more headroom. So here is my question.. Ive been interested in a few different amps, and I'd just like to know what you all think. My options are the Ampeg SVTII Pro (or non pro?) the SVT4 Pro, the Mesa Boogie 400 ((or 400+?)(i feel like the 400+ may have the more power needed for my application)) or I was also looking at the Fender Bassman 300 Pro/Sunn 300t, but i've heard about problems with those. I AM sort of concerned though, that an all tube head might sound too farty with guitar. My only experience with an all tube bass head was the marshall super bass, which didnt work for me. but my experience with the solid state (the B4R) has been good, as far as tone.. What do y'all think?
  2. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    I think you are trying to overthink it. Most of your tone will come from your guitar rig & effects. Most any decent bass head will give you the low end you are looking for. If you have a crossover in your chain somewhere, you could just send the lows to a power amp.

There's a dozen different ways to accomplish what you are doing though. The old fart in me would be looking toward a smaller single power amp or bass amp solution with some tube preamp stages to emulate the guitar tone you are after.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

4. carl h.

carl h.

Ampeg SVP BSP, a pair of SVT410he cabs, and as big a power amp as you need. Will get both jobs done.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jostraco

jostraco

sorry downunderwonder, not sure what that means
  7. jostraco

jostraco

im actually all set on cabs
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Exactly what volume are you trying to accomplish with 6 guitar 12's and 4 bass 15's?

If you don't have an active crossover, do the poormans biamp. That means turn the bass down on the guitar rig and turn the mids and treble down on the bass rig. When you do that, you can lose the guitar 412. The rest of the rig will blend better.

FWIW, yes, you need some sort of power, but more speakers almost always gets you louder than more power does.

I also don't know what "NPDR" means, but in your case, it can't be good.:p

You're also never going to get the fat lowend out of a downtuned guitar that you'll get out of even a bottom of the barrel cheap real bass. Although, I assume you know what sounds better in your situation than I do.
  9. jostraco

jostraco

Honestly though, this thread is about which head is best, nothing more
  10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I don't know anything about what it is you're trying to do, but from a purely bass player POV, my amp of choice, out of any on the planet, would likely be an SVT 4 Pro. The old SLM made 1600 watt monsters.
  11. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

+1…

Whatever it means.
  12. OldCrow

OldCrow

Don't worry, leave it to TB to answer every question but the one you asked...

If I were you I'd looking into a cheap SS head, like an old GK 800rb, ala Tweak Bird, or maybe an old Sunn Coliseum head (those aren't as cheap anymore) but out of what you listed the Bassman 300 sounded cool when I tried it.
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Since you say you're only pushing mids and highs through the guitar side of things...if you ditch one of the guitar cabs, using four 15's for bass with pretty much any head would more than likely do the job.

If you want something with more headroom, how about grabbing a pre/power amp setup? You can get a lightweight power amp that puts out serious wattage for not a lot of money. Then just add the preamp of your choice...
  14. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

NPDR

No Punctuation, Didn't Read.
  15. Massimo636

Massimo636

He used a perfectly adequate amount of punctuation. Maybe just not enough paragraphs.
  16. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Positive Grid Beta tester
    I prefer a bass through a guitar rig!
  17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Maybe in this case it stood for " No paragraphs, didn't read"?
  18. jostraco

jostraco

Sorry for not paragraphing my post! I realize I probably should have done that. I've played an 800rb before, it was a long time ago, I only remember I didn't like it.. Im really just looking for reviews and or comparisons of the amps I listed, or suggestions for something similar. I guess if I would consider a pre/power amp setup, I'd lean probably towards the SVP Pro. Does anyone have any experience with these?
  19. Catbuster

Catbuster

I play with a guitar player that swears my 1001RB through a NEO 410 (mid-boost EQ, a tweeter 9:00, woofer driver 12:00) is the best clean tone he's ever heard, and apparently he prefers it to his Mesa...

:eyebrow:
  20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I think you are placing much too much stock in "what amp is it" than you should be placing in "how do I learn to work this combination of amp/speakers to get what I want".

Learn to do that, and it'll be booby gravy.....I mean groovy baby.
  21. jostraco

jostraco

Here's the thing though, it already does work, I've learned how to make it work long ago, and everything already sounds awesome. I've been playing this type of setup for quite a while now. Like I said before, I basically just need more headroom than the b4r can give me, so what I'm looking for is purely opinions on amps that may sound somewhat similar to a b4r, but with more headroom; and what people think about the amps I listed.