1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guitar wood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingDavid, Jan 5, 2014.

1. KingDavid

KingDavid

I've heard this about acoustic and classical guitars, but do you need to take care of your bass temperature wise? My brother and I always jam in our garage (most space) and he never leaves his electric there. However, it is REALLY cold there (40ish Fahrenheit)
    My bass is a Fender '01 Precision. Do I have to keep the guitar at room temperature? Does the tone of the bass at all change if the ambient temperature is too hot/cold? Just wondering... I don't want to make a mistake and suffer for it.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's better to keep your bass at a fairly constant temperature, and room temperature is way better than 40°. Hopefully 40° is not your room temperature. The tone probably doesn't change much but the tuning will change with changes in temperature.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

4. KingDavid

KingDavid

Ok, because my room temperature is avg. 70F, and my brother really worries about leaving his electric in the garage. He left it once for 20 minutes in his case and flipped. I guess I should care about as much about my bass too...
  5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Temperature is not an issue at all. Sudden changes in temperature are huge problems, and humidity changes are of concern. But just getting cold won't hurt a solid body bass, nor even an all solid wood acoustic guitar.

Jihn