1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guitarfetish.com Bass Kits

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metaldood19, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Metaldood19

Metaldood19

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The bodies are made from paulownia wood which is also used in some brand name guitars as a core wood and the topped with another wood. The Dean ML XM has a paulownia core that is then topped with mahogany. The necks are made from maple. Might be a good project for someone who wants to build their own bass. I have doubts about how it will sound.
  3. Diogenes

Diogenes

I've never used a kit much less one from GuitarFetish but at that price point I'd say go for it. Assembling your own bass is a great learning experience and this is a good option for people who don't have a decent wood shop at their disposal. However I wouldn't expect too much from the kit. I would bet that the pickups are underwound and that it will most likely need fret work. On the plus side (and an advantage to modifying a pre-built bass) you get to choose the headstock shape and the neck and body are raw wood so there's no stripping involved.
  4. blubolt

blubolt

actually, the pickups are really nice and at that price really a steal. I've used the over wound models in a few projects and I'm not at all disappointed in the sound.
  5. wilfred

wilfred

I was looking at these the other day, i'd like to try one some day just for fun! i love building guitars! and this would be my first bass build.
  6. wilfred

wilfred

The pickups in the kit are not the same GFS bass pickups. But i do really like the overwound p bass pup i have in my frankin bass.