1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Guitarist broke his foot - cancel the gig or no?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Crater, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Crater

Crater

I'm the second guitarist in this band, so watch the "guitard" comments. ;) Guitarist/singer/BL in my band broke his foot this past weekend, and we have a "benefit" gig booked for this saturday at a dive bar. Since it's a benefit, there's no pay for us, that's cool, we knew that going in. And there's multiple bands on the bill, the promoter already said we can bail out if we need to.

Anyone here tried to play a gig with a broken foot or leg? Obviously he'll have to sit down somehow, and still play, and sing, and work his pedalboard. If anyone has suggestions or experience with this kind of thing, please chime in with your experiences and/or suggestion. Thanks.
  2. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Not seeing the problem.

Chair? Check
    Pedalboard? Other foot. Check
    Microphone? Boom stand. Check
    Fingers? Not broken. Check

Sounds like your guitarist good to go. Tell us how it went. :)
  3. duff beer

duff beer

I played a gig a few days after Achilles tendon surgery while in a hard cast...I just let the rest of the band load in and out and sat in a chair for the gig. It wasn't a problem.
  4. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Let the guy with the broken foot decide.
  5. WJGreer

WJGreer

Here's a great recording of Red Baron by one of my groups a few years ago, featuring a guitarist on a stool, hobbled by a blown achilles tendon.

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

I've seen players sit in regular chairs and in wheel chairs too.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Promoter may have given you an "out", but it'll still look better if you soldier on.
  8. Timmah

Timmah

Last summer I played a gig 6 hours after cutting my foot on some glass (wading in from swimming) and getting 14 stitches in that fleshy bit on the inside of my foot. I just sat on top of my cab and it worked out.

As long as Guitar Guy's fingers are in working order. I would say to go for it!
  9. bassdog

bassdog

he didn't break his hand. he can still play. sheesh
  10. Journey55

Journey55

The guitarist for Parkway Drive played a whole tour in a wheelchair and it was pretty awesome
  11. jnuts1

jnuts1

get a chair? I would still play but sit down & forget about the pedal board.
  12. electracoyote

electracoyote

I concur.

Issues of pain and discomfort aside, I would give it the old college effort. It may be "just a benefit," but someone in need is on the other side of that commitment.
  13. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

This.

I used to play with a keyboard player that was in a wheel chair as a result of a motor cycle crash. He could play like the dickens, but he wasn't much help with load in / load out.

On the plus side after years of rehab he mostly walks with a cane these days.

Still not much help with load in / load out though........

If the guitar player feels up to it, fine. If he's stoned out of his gourd on Oxy, maybe you better not do it......
  14. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Yup, and Andrew WK did a concert in a wheelchair....still managed to headbang while he was in there too lol. :hyper:
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Yeah, broken feet take more than a week to settle down, he could still be in a lot of pain at the weekend.
  16. WJGreer

WJGreer

This memory is dim...but I think Geddy Lee continued a Rush tour after breaking an ankle back in the mid 80s. Think about how much he uses his feet and that's not nothing.
  17. duff2

duff2

Show him this:

:smug:

-Duff2
  18. WJGreer

WJGreer

Joe Jackson puts on one of the most universally entertaining shows I've ever been to, whether or not his guitarist is in a chair. It feels like having dinner with an old friend who happens to be playing songs for you.
  19. NWB

NWB

I saw Tom Sholz play a concert with a broken leg in a cast.

Definitely doable.
  20. thenazz

thenazz

Had a wreck on my road bike, went over the handlebars. Spilt my kneecap in two plus I had stuck out both hands to try and break the fall and ended up ripping all the flesh off my palms. Still did my gigs in a cast on my leg and both hands wrapped with just my fingers sticking out. It's doable.