Guitarist ego?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jacksonguy95, Jan 16, 2014.

1. jacksonguy95

jacksonguy95

Hey everyone, so i joined this band about 3 - 4 months ago and this is my first serious band, got our ep in the works, merch being printed, and multiple gigs booked its all very exciting! but one thing ive noticed (very funny actually) is that the guitarist's are so thick headed and egotistical in a humorous way, they both fight for the solo of the song and try to constantly outdo eachother im sure veterean bassist's know the drill, but the drummer and i always are the one's who tell em' to actually work towards the song and quit the pissing contest. While showing my other friends (guitarist) our music, they always comment "That was a good song but i could solo better during the outro" or compare there own skill to the guitarist, and i just try not to laugh.

So point of the discussion, Do you guys deal with egotistical guitarists? do you get frustrated towards it, or laugh and be glad where the bassist's (The rational one's), and maybe share some funny song writing/ rehearsal story's about your band's guitarist!
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Its good for band members to push each other - competition is healthy oppose to the complete opposite of not stepping up to the plate and hitting the ball.
  3. jacksonguy95

jacksonguy95

That's very true it's not a bad thing at all, but after an hour of argueing over the spot light you just want to slap them around and tell em' to figure it out haha!
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

So long as they don't involve the volume knob in the competitions, (tastefully) have at it.
  5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+100% Yep.
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

just hit the pinball machines while they work it out ;)
  7. Jensby design

Jensby design

Yeah, that's when you and the drummer go have a beer and when the two of you get back ask the guitarists "can we play a song now".
    Been there ugh been there :rollno:
  8. IPYF

IPYF

Sounds like fun. As long as you and your drummer can wrangle them then it remains funny. Problems will occur though if one or both of them doesn't find the jousting funny and it develops into real argy-bargy.

You might have to work out which one of them you're going to keep, or back up when the poo hits the fan area.
  9. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody gives me anything
    I only really get 2 versions of guitarist ego. 1 is constantly telling me to turn down, im too loud and they cant hear themselves (meanwhile my ears are bleeding from their rigs and I can only tell im playing things correctly by visual confirmation). Sometimes I respond by muting my rig and then playing through a song. I love it because they always tell me "thats perfect, just the right volume" then look like @$$holes when I tell them I had it muted. 2 is writing bass riffs for originals. The one guitarist is always trying to get me to play root notes only because they "make him sound better", whereas playing different noes "distract people from what he's playing".

In both cases the end result is me shaking my head and ultimately ignoring them.
  10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

I just wait for the guitarist to mess up, and then berate him mercilessly for the next two weeks. Honestly, we have no inflated egos in my country band. Best band o' brothers I've ever played with. Cooperative, mutually supportive, all "growed up".
  11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

[​IMG]
  12. Desirsar

Desirsar

Challenge them to come up with a tandem part for all solos, so they have to actually work together to come up with something that sounds good. Maybe lend them $20 to pick up a Megadeth CD...
  13. pfox14

pfox14

A guitarist with a big head. NO WAY!
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

We widened the door way.
  15. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Im lucky enough to play with some guys that have really nice gear and are more about the songs. We've recorded 3 albums and in almost 40 songs we have 1 song with a guitar solo. But if it was me I would have fun with it. have some running inside jokes going in the band. hide their wah pedals from them just have fun with it
  16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Say what? Egotistical guitarists? Nope. Never heard of such a thing. I'm sure that no one around here has ever experienced such a thing either. :ninja:

MM
  17. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

The band that I'm in at the moment doesn't have an egotistical guitarist. This shocks me because every band I've seen or every band that I have been in DOES.

I have two guitarists at the moment, and both are quite humble. Lead guitarist is louder than needed but humble.

Aren't all guitar players loud though?
  18. Slade N

Slade N Previously sizzle Supporting Member

get shock collars for both of them....zap em when they get to be too much

as said a bit of competition is really good but too much is
    a ticking time bomb for band implosion

get with the rest of the band, make that everyone is on the same page, then issue a direct to the point statment that you have a no BS policy and that they need to get over themselves and work together
  19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    In every band I have ever been in, the guitarists have always been able to figure out which of them should play specific parts. They have also taken turns on solos. One might do the solo on one song, the other might do it on a different song. I really don't understand why so many people have ego problems in their bands. You can usually tell immediately if some has a big ego. I once had a guitarist come down for an audition and within a few minutes he said "I'm good and I know it". We asked him to leave without even letting him play. I do not put up with egos. Being in band is no different than playing on a sports team. Everyone has to work together.
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I'm very lucky these days in that I'm working with a group of real pros. Top shelf players who are more interested in the song than how much solo time they get.

As for guitar player ego, I used to think it was confined to guitar, but have over the years seen enough of it from other instrument players I no longer ask which came first, the ego or the guitar.

These days I ask which came first, the instrument or the ego.

I've seen bass players ruin a band because they must be the center of attention and jam every sonic nook and cranny with bass fills, even when that fill clashes with the song/other solo. Some of these players are technical monsters, but are clueless when it comes to tasteful artistic bass playing.

Same for drummers and keyboard players, horn players, etc. It leads me to think the answer to my question is the ego definitely came first.