guitarist loves squires

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lowswinglow, Feb 13, 2014.

1. lowswinglow

lowswinglow

too many high horses
  2. RxFunk

RxFunk

This should be interesting, subscribed.
  3. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I think you should take of your own **** and let him take care of his.
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

If he likes playing let him be.
    Some good pick ups do a lot...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Duckwater

Duckwater

Squiers are awesome. One of my guitarists has a new-ish $120 Squier Strat that sounds and plays better than his American Strat from the 80s. I've played some VM Squier basses that destroyed everything else in the shop(including US made Fenders). The VM 60s Jazz basses are just killer for the price.

YMMV
  7. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bassist for The Sipps (Presskit.to/TheSipps) Supporting Member

He could always swap pickups or get a humbucker installed to change the tones. If you dont subscribe to "tone wood" theology then all it takes is some hardware/electronic upgrade to get standard level tone. Sure, woods vibrate differently but pickups are affected by magnetic fields which to my knowledge dont vary substantially between woods of exactly the same dimension. Of course many would say I'm wrong, hell I probably am.

Fireproof suit engaged.
    Good luck

Fireproof suit
  8. jessicabass

jessicabass

Ummmm
    How would you feel if bandmates didnt like your equipment and told you to ditch it?
    I think that is one of the most brutal things to say to somebody.
  9. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

What exactly does a Squier sound like? I feel like it's pretty similar to an American Standard Strat, which is iconic. If it really bothers you, try to get him to swap some different pickups into it and ignore what it says on the headstock. Everything else is just going to be fit, finish, and hardware quality.
  11. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

Guitarist playing modded sh!tty guitars??? I think you should tell that guitarist that you, the bass player, think his guitar tone is ****. It can only get better from there.
  12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Stop listening with your eyes. With your attitude I'd be willing to bet your band has bigger problems than the name on your guitarist's headstock.
  13. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr

What does the rest of the band think about his tone?
  14. dls119

dls119

It's a lot more about who is playing it than what brand it is. It seems like you might be listening with your eyes a bit. Or it could be a truly awful Squier - they exist. But really, I have Fenders and Squiers, gig both, no one knows the difference, and those in the audience surely can't tell which brand I happen to be playing on a given night.

Now a lame amp, on the other hand...
  15. ITucker_034I

ITucker_034I

How would you feel if he hated your bass and kept going on about it?
  16. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Subbed, if only to see how badly the OP gets hammered for being a brand snob.
  17. lowswinglow

lowswinglow

lol, you guys are cracking me up.
    I have never told him that I don't like his tone. I keep it all very positive in practice. His playing is great, he's like a soundscape artist. But I don't listen with my eyes, I listen with my ears. We record our practices and I can hear when he's using his different guitars, and when he uses his squires, it sounds thin and brittle

anyway, if he actually hated my bass, I would take it under advisement, as I have three
  18. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

sounds like the problem is all yours...
  19. Jungy

Jungy

Why are you guys responding? First post by the guy; clearly trolling.
  20. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

As someone already asked, does the rest of the band feel the same way? If you AND everyone else hate the tone, then I think you're well within your right to request he make a change. It would be pretty unreasonable of him to deny this request from the whole band (especially with your offer of the SG).

If you're the only one with the gripe, then you really don't have much choice, other than zippin it or finding a new, squireless band.
  21. obimark

obimark

Your guitarist just called me and told me either you get a Status Graphite, Headless Mark King Deluxe Bass model with the light-up frets or you're out of the band. Says that is the ONLY bass that has the right sound for the vibe you guys are going for.