Guitars with wide necks/string spacing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Achtane, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Achtane

Achtane

I figured this would go here rather than off-topic...

I'm looking for a cheap electric guitar (but not POS-cheap) that has an unusually wide neck to learn on. I've messed around with a couple guitars but they just feel so tiny; my fingers are all over the place -- I'm sure it's mostly because of my inexperience, but if there are any that you know of that would make learning guitar any easier, feel free to chime in.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

I don't know about affordable electric guitars, but nylon stringed classical guitars have a rather wide string spacing.

Why not drop by a music shop and wring a few necks?

EDIT: Fender guitars have a wider string spacing at the bridge and a slightly longer scale length than instruments based upon Gibson designs.

3. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

I like 'em like that too. Look at some of the cheap Ibanezeses. Some of those are pretty big. I love the chinese Squiers but boy the necks are TEENY.

I do go by the store once in a while and pull down $150 guitars. They provide not only a varied, balanced diet but lots of upgrade project fun. Some weird brand might be just what you want.

N

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

I'd say the Telecaster for electric.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Achtane

Achtane

Hmm...I was thinking about getting an Agile Tele copy. We'll see.

Thanks.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Most of the typical MIK and MIC guitar stock out there uses the fairly standard 1 5/8 or 1 11/16 inch string spacing.

Epiphone makes a les paul "reissue" goldtop with P-90s that, I believe, has a slightly wider neck than their standard Les Pauls, but it's deeper, too. Kind of a bat. If you dig that (I do), you could check one of those out. I'm not sure how cheap they are, though.

I'm with you. I like a wide neck on guitars and basses, but you have to do a lot of searching.