Gut string re-wind question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Hubtone, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Hubtone

Hubtone Supporting Member

Hi, I did a little research but couldn't find the thread to answer my question. I have a Red-O-Ray flatwound gut A string that buzzes when playing the C-D note area. I'm considering either taking the wrap off and using it as a plain gut string or having it re-wound. The Gamut website says it only re-winds Gamut strings. Does anyone know who/where I can send the string to have it re-wound? Any other ideas/suggestions are helpful too as I'm new to guts!

Thx!

2. superman

superman

is the winding lose?? or do you just have a buzz on the fingerboard? if the winding is loose you will able to turn it freely with your fingers,,if your bass has not been set up for guts you might want to start there,, the relief of a fingerboard is much greater with guts than with steels

3. Hubtone

The winding doesn't seem to be loose. I am familiar with various fingerboard buzzes and this doesn't sound like that. The string alone seems to buzz. The string is old and It made me think of it as the culprit.

4. superman

superman

sometimes when it gets dry,,like now in the winter,, the cores will shrink ,, and sometimes after the humidity rises they will sweel enough to use again,,Danl Larson usedto rewrap guts,, but I just looked and he will only rewrap "his" Gamut strings

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hubtone

Oh. That makes sense too. I just gave it a good one over and don't see any winding issues. It's good to note too that over the course of a few days I tried another wrapped red O ray A and a chorda Carlos Wrapped A and they play fine w no buzz

7. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Maybe put the buzzing string in some almond oil to let the core swell a bit (but not too long or the winding may break).

8. superman

superman

oil of any kind is not for wound strings,, oil will repel moisture and keep the core from swelling back,,only oil plain guts,and that's if they are dry,,

9. Hubtone

So assuming it's the winding would it work as a g string if I removed the winding?

10. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It would, but it's a hell of a lot of work, and it's a Red-O-Ray. I'd call around to see if it could be re-wrapped.

11. Hubtone

The only places I know to ask are duglecki (sp) and gamut. They don't want it. Any others out there?

12. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Nope. That's who I was going to suggest. Bummer.

13. Hubtone