GUT STRING SUPPLIERS

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bopit01, Apr 2, 2014.

1. bopit01

bopit01

Apologies if this has been topic of previous discussion, but I couldnt find it. I am just wondering where you guys source your gut strings.

I have been using CLEF strings from Upton Bass for about 10 years and prior to that was using Lenzner strings. I've also tried those cheap Indian made ones that are available on Ebay, but prefer the Lenzner and Cleff

One of the best strings I had was just a one off that I bought years ago - but I've never been able to find a full set - that was LaBella brand - but I dont think they make gut anymore.

I have been playing full gut strings for a long time, but looks like my string supply is running low.

Anyhow, I've read a few other brand names around these forums and I was just wondering where are the best/cheapest full gut strings.

Prefer online supplier, as I am located in Australia.

Just wondering peoples preference, and more importantly suppliers.

Hope you can help

Cheers
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Clef strings are marginal. LaBellas are pretty lame. Gamut is about as good as it gets these days, but they're not cheap. Pirastro Chorda Carlos Henriquez are also excellent and also expensive.

If price is an object, lurk and grab vintage guts when they become available. I've bought incredible strings for short money, but you need to be very patient.
  3. bopit01

bopit01

Thankyou my friend, Yes price is always a determining factor in my purchase until such time as I win that lottery.

If you have a supplier for those Gammut strings I'd appreciate it.

I"ve never found any vintage gut string bargains yet but ill keep my eyes out

As price seems to be my determining factor i may just have to stick with the cleff or lenzner for now

thanks anyhow _ kind regards
  4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

gamutmusic.com. Take a deep breath before you look at the price list and remember that good guts can last for decades.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bopit01

bopit01

Thankyou Kungfusheriff, Just took a look at their site. Looks like they have just made choosing strings a confusing science!

After a quick look - am I right in assuming Lyon Gut would be for the D and G strings and that Pistoy would be for E and A strings?
    Judging by the different gauges avail, it would seem the largest gauge is only 2mm. Which I'm sure is not going to suit an E string.

Feel like i'm in over my head looking at that site. I'm used to buying either a set, or just single strings - never seen such a vast range of sizes etc....

I'll try find those other Pirastro Chorda ones too - again if you have a recomended supplier, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks again

PS: I forgot to mention that I use a FULL Gut E. I do not like a wound gut E string. So am looking for a brand that makes a FULL set of gut including plain gut E
  7. tyb507

tyb507

Take another look: http://www.gamutstrings.com/catalog.html?Vl=4&Tp=2

I'm using Pistoy D and G strings, and love them. Another maker with similar prices and quality in the US is Damian Dlugolecki. I had D and G strings of his that I liked a lot as well, and a wound A string that was very reponsive and focused, but I'm a flat-winding kind of guy. http://www.damianstrings.com/doublebass.htm

Aquila is a Euro maker. I haven't tried their strings. http://www.aquilacorde.com/?lang=en

If budget is a concern, Lenzner is a great choice. They make a full, unwound set. I kept my Lenzner D/G as backup strings and sold off the rest of my modest collection. The Chordas (I believe) are wound A/E.
  8. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Chordas are wound E&A, I have two sets. I don't believe that either Pirastro or Gamut make unwound Es, but I've heard of Gamut unwound As.

I had (but didn't end up using) a Lenzer plain E. It looked pretty good, better than the plain Clef E I used for a while.
  9. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine

Damian makes an unwound A too, or at least he did. Best to give him a call. Same with Dan. They'll both be happy to talk to you about strings you should consider. Unwound E? You have guts to go that route!
  10. tyb507

tyb507

Somebody on the UBPU FB page a while ago mentioned Gamut was making them a custom 5mm plain E string. Robo, maybe? I imagine that would be a $300+ string!
  11. bopit01

bopit01

Thankyou for the contacts. I think I'll go back to Lenzner until I can afford some of those Gammut strings
  12. bopit01

bopit01

When I was learning bass I was on steel strings, then went to gut a few years later and never looked back. I used to have wound gut A and E, but decided to give full gut set a go and I love it.
    That big fat E string is great as a full gut. No turning back for me!
  13. bopit01

bopit01

$300 for one string?? Yikes!!
  14. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Gut life ain't for the meek. On the positive side, if you take care of them, you can play that $300 string for decades.
  15. Norre

Norre

I believe they don't make the Chorda Carlos Henriquez edition anymore. They don't mention them on their site anymore and on top of that I think mr. Henriquez changed back to steel strings.
    So I'm guessing they quit producing them.
  16. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    They are mentioned on the web site this morning as a variation on the regular Chorda: http://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/Chorda-00006/
  17. Norre

Norre

18. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    It does appear that they are only making them as a special order, doesn't it?
  19. Norre

Norre

Yes. It's always has been like that. You have to send a mail directly to Pirastro to order them. That's how I did it a couple of years ago.
  20. ctxbass

ctxbass

21. NashvilleURBass

NashvilleURBass

Bop It,

It may be worth a call to Dan at Gamut. He helped a bunch and I love the set I bought from Gamut. I really like the feel.