Guv'nor vs. GV2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JonnyAngle, Dec 9, 2012.

1. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

Has anyone here had both? I really like my GV2 with the c22 mod. "Everyone" says that the original is better. Can anyone actually explain the difference in sound? Everything I've seen is to the effect of, "GV2 is loose butt hole and the original is tight butt hole," and doesn't really give any facts.

I'm going for overdrive, not to sound like a jcm 2000

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I owned an original Guv'nor years ago for a short time and remember it being too thin in the lows for me at the time, but that was a long time ago now and my tonal tastes have changed a bunch. I actually just modded the GV-2 that a friend had given me for free 5 or 6 years back based on your mention in that Rusty Box thread, and so far I'm really digging it! When it was given to me I basically played it for 10 minutes on bass and decided it was too muddy for my taste, but that mod really brought it to life. I probably would have loved it way back when I was into the thicker kinda stoner-rock bass tones!

So I can't help you much with your question, but thanks for the mod idea! I can definitely see finding a use for the GV-2 in the future.

3. JonnyAngle

That's what I'm saying... It has some amazing tonez! The deep knob can add a lot of depth if you're in need

4. JonnyAngle

Bump for anyone else's opinion

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

I love my old Guv'nor! There is a little low end loss, but it's a super gnarly sounding drive. Tried an EQ pedal in its loop (has a stereo jack socket) but I think it comes after the OD in its circuit, so you're really trying to add the lows after they're already lost. It did work well with a router pedal I had with the EQ in front to boost the lows prior to the Guv'nor, but I;m actually really in to how it sounds on its own.

Hear me using it here:

https://soundcloud.com/horzagobuchul/it-is-too-easy-to-pretend

7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I have a GV2 and this pedal is good on high settings. It gets raunchy tones a Hematoma or Fulltone Bass Drive cannot really achive. On lower settings it's just OK IMHO. The eq points are not quite adapted to bass but I mostly get the tones I want.

I suspect the basic circuit must be close to a tube screamer because it sure sounds like one.

8. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Have you tried the c22 removal mod? It really opens the tone up in my opinion! It still has a fairly dark midrange tone after the mod, but useably so where I found the stock pedal to just be murky to my ears. Agreed that the EQ is not ideal for bass, but can be pretty useful if you tweak it with that in mind!