Guy Pratt and his gear

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassMan250, Aug 13, 2007.

1. BassMan250

BassMan250

I've been watching Pulse a lot recently (Pink Floyd live at Earls Court 1994) and listening to their later albums and I've been impressed by Guy Pratt's playing- extremely consistent and providing a solid basis for each song, and displaying some serious chops when he decides to step forward in the mix. Anyway, I noticed on Pulse that he uses an old P-bass, a red 4-string with a P/J pickup combo that looks like a Spector, and some sort of 5-string headless. Could anybody clue me in on what the latter two basses are, and also what kind of amps and effects he uses? Much appreciated
  2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    He also has a 1964 Burgandy Mist Fender Jazz bass.
    Some Status basses.
  3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Does anyone know what he's doing these days or who he's playing with? I think I remember him slapping "Another Brick in the Wall" in some live footage I saw, I liked it so much I started doing it too when we played that song with my school band. It was never my favourite song to play but Guy's idea made it a bit more fun. :D
  4. Nakedfish

Nakedfish

5. cetera

cetera

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    The red 4-string is a Spector NS2. At the time of Pulse I believe he was using Trace Elliot including the programmable pre-amp.

He also plays Stingrays and more recently the Status 'Vintage GP' bass (http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame1.htm) through Ashdown heads/cabs.

For some real high quality Guy Pratt basslines check out the amazing self-titled 'Toy Matinee' album...... or Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' :bassist:
  6. BassMan250

BassMan250

Thanks a bunch, I'm guessing that headless was a Status then. I'll definitely check out those basslines too.
  7. Rush Fan

Rush Fan

[For some real high quality Guy Pratt basslines check out the amazing self-titled 'Toy Matinee' album[/QUOTE]

+1 here. Still a great CD listen. Great playing and production.
  8. cetera

cetera

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    +1 here. Still a great CD listen. Great playing and production.[/QUOTE]

It's such an underrated classic isn't it?!? Superb songs, amazing musicianship and probably the best production I've EVER heard.... I LOVE it! :bassist:
  9. Depot Town

Depot Town

Guy's headless basses (one fretted and one fretless) are from Status as suggested. He is a great musician and has played with numerous artists from Madonna to Roxy Music to Michael Jackson!

He does a stand up comedy show in his spare time in England. It is called "My Bass and Other Favorite Animals". He has a lot of funny stories of his career and as well as plays some bass.

He just released a book also also titled "My Bass and Other Favorite Animals". It is just stories from his career. The last chapter is a discussion on his basses and gear. There is also a chapter discussing his playing live of various Pink Floyd songs with them.

He is also married to Pink Floyd's keyboard player Rick Wright's daughter - Gala.