Guy Pratt PULSE Tone & Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by christopheraj1, Jul 25, 2013.

1. christopheraj1

christopheraj1

Hey everyone!

This is my first post on talkbass! Glad to be here! :hyper:

I'm trying to find the tone and the effects Guy Pratt is using when playing the quiet section of 'Money' in the PULSE concert.

Here's the link

At 5:25 he gets an amazing sound when he plays that cool lick. Anybody know how I can get that sound and what kind of effects he is using.

Also, at 5:47 how is he doing the "untuning" sound?

Would appreciate any help!

:bassist: :bassist:

2. Jibudo

Jibudo

Just watched the video. At first glance, i think is tone is just a p-bass direct tone. The "untuning" sound is just the result of pressing the string between the nut and the tuners

3. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

^ This.

Do I detect a hint of flange on the rest?

4. douggie

douggie

it's a flanger..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christopheraj1

christopheraj1

Thanks guys for the responses! Is it possible that the effects is a phaser rather than a flanger?

7. douggie

douggie

I can't remember..I think it's more likely a flanger although I did have a phaser I used for One of these days so it could be that..

8. bobbybass85

bobbybass85 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Personally it sounds like a very slow phaser to me, but it certainly could be a flanger.

He uses Ashdown amps (at least he was back then). And the "untuning" as mentioned above is what you get when you hit a note and bend the string behind the nut.

9. douggie

douggie

Actually I was still using Trace Elliott..And yes I did hit the string and bend it behind the nut, but it is flanged also..

danroche likes this.
  10. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Cool to be getting responses right from the source!!

What kind of flanger and phaser were you using, Guy? Thanks!!

Edit: to the OP don't mean to troll, seems an opportune time to ask that question thanks!

11. christopheraj1

christopheraj1

WOW! Really cool to be getting an answer from you Guy! I'm a huge fan! :hyper: :hyper:

I have another question if you don't mind. When you were playing the 58' Precision bass on the PULSE tour, were you using flatwounds or roundwounds? Also, do you remember which brand of strings you were using? I just love your tone, especially in 'Time', 'Money' and 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'.

Thanks in advance!

:bassist:

12. winterburn69

winterburn69

I think I've read he uses half-rounds on everything. There's a detailed section at the very end of his book that's all about his basses, amps, pedals and that sort of thing so most gear questions can be answered from that (it was a very pleasant surprise when I found it!!)... just checked my copy... nothing about effects on the Pulse tour, just the basses. Phasers & flangers sound quite similar though. A phaser could definitely do that little bit at 5:25 in the video, and if you don't know where to start with phasers... MXR Phase 90.