1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gypped...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArvindJayaram, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

Dunno where or when it happened, but the electronics in my ESP Horizon-II don't seem to be stock, at least with respect to the brochure.

Some pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a feeling someone wanted the two band EQ for themselves. If you'll notice in the pictures, some of the wiring slots seem to have no connectors. Also, there was a black wire coming out of some cavity that was just cut off. I checked to see if it was a cover up because a pickup was not working, but luckily both the P and J are operational. The electronics are EMGs, not the ESP Custom Shop stuff.

Feel really sad about it, but there's nothing I can do now. At least it sounds good. But I could use some help getting the whole system to work optimally.

The haie-brained wiring results in the controls being a P volume, a J volume, a master volume and an EQ that boosts both bass and treble. Oddly, when you increase the P volume to maximum, the J cuts out. And when the P and J volumes are blended, there is a noticeable volume drop. For some reason, if you cut both the P and J volume, you can still hear some sound.

Can anyone help? I can upload more pictures if that'll facilitate troubleshooting.

- Jimmy Rage
  2. clbolt

clbolt

The Horizon II switched to EMG pickups (from the ESPs) from 1992 on. It looks as if the electronics are stock as well.
  3. thomashawk

thomashawk

I'm not really that PC, but some of our Egyptian bass playing friends might take offense at "gypped."
  4. rythman6969

rythman6969

I'm pretty sure that comes from Gypsy. And they're ok to make fun of.
  5. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    At least in the UK. Top Gear does all the time.
  6. line6man

line6man

The P pickup probably has a lower output impedance than that J, and thus, it loads against the J when its volume pot drops the impedance to the lowest point at the full setting. Blending pickups also gives an insertion loss type of effect. If there is output when the volumes are down, that would indicate that the pots are not grounded properly.

Those pictures are too blurry to tell, but I agree that the wiring looks stock.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The bass & treble boost you speak of is the 2 band EQ.
  8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Gypsy is not an ethnic group in UK-speak. A gypsy is someone who squats on another's property in a caravan, what we would call a travel trailer. You will often see empty parcels of land with rather elaborate traffic barriers to prevent vehicular access in order to keep the gypsies out because it can be legally difficult to evict the homeless from property in the UK. It isn't OK to make fun of either the homeless or ethnic Gypsies however. Top Gear does not typically set an example one should emulate....

Ken
  9. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Truth.
  10. line6man

line6man

Love the discourse here. Started with a question about preamps and turned to defining the justification for making fun of gypsies within a few posts.:hyper:
  11. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

+1 ... Has to be one of the fastest thread derails I've ever seen!
  12. Wwolof

Wwolof

How about we say "jewed" then?

See how offensive this rubbish is? Is that so difficult to understand?
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I always thought that "gypped" was derived from "Gypsies." So it'd be the Romanians that would be offended. It's all good, though, because the OP's question was answered in post #2.
  14. Wwolof

Wwolof

15. line6man

line6man

IMHO, people get offended way too easily. Read it in context; it is simply a phrase or figure of speech. At the risk of making assumptions, it is doubtful that the OP meant the thread title as anything other than some variant of "I was ripped off," or "I was cheated," as that is pretty much the denotative definition of "gypped."
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    gyp, gip [dʒɪp] Slang
    vb gyps, gypping, gypped, gips gipping, gipped
    (tr) to swindle, cheat, or defraud
    n
    1. an act of cheating
    2. a person who gyps
    [back formation from Gypsy]
  17. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

OMG! I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that the word was derived from gypsies, nor that it was derogatory. The gypsies are wonderful people that were persecuted for their beliefs and way of life.

I don't have a gypsy-hating bone in my body... Does anyone wonder why there's no magic in the world today? The Germans are such a serious people. Yet they were dressing up and indulging in cloak and dagger stuff looking for occultic artifacts and performing strange rituals in the middle of World War II? Serious Germans acting like clowns? Sounds like the Skull & Bones Society, except they're not German. The real crazy thing is all those 'scientists" granted amnesty for war crimes and working in US laboratories thereafter....

Now that I've derailed my own thread, I thank you all for clearing up my doubts. It does look stock and sounds good, which is the main thing, I guess. I think my biggest problem in life is having no amp for my bass. Can't hear it too well on many albums too, but that's another thread :/

- Jimmy Rage
  18. Wwolof

Wwolof

It belittles all of us to pair behavioural traits, especially negative ones, with ethnicity. Intent isn't really the point — if the stereotype is perpetuated, it's not good.

Racism and sexism drag all of us down. This should be obvious.

I'm not bagging the OP here. Rock on.
  19. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I wonder how our societies thrived , much less existed with all of the offensive language? Another example of just how ridiculously petty society has become. PC people are just the most inane.
  20. JoZac21

JoZac21

Some say that he will only play fretless 2 string basses, with the strings tuned a quarter tone apart... and that he won't use strap locks because he likes to "live dangerously"...

All we know is, he's called THE STIG!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.