Hackentosh

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iamlowsound, Nov 4, 2012.

1. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Has anyone ever built one? I have a PC that is a few years old that doesn't get much use. Can I just create a partition and have the option of duel booting into windows 7, or OSX?

lowsound
  2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Disclosure: I really don't know what I'm speaking about.

I thought you had to have specific hardware in order to build a hackintosh? Or maybe there's cracked OS or something. Like I said, it's been a while since I've checked.
  3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I've never heard of someone doing it to a PC, but Mac users do it all the time. I just did it to my mothers computer using parallels.

Maybe there's a parallels or similar for PC?
  4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Yep, not sure on specifics, but it shouldn't be difficult at all.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jkramer5

jkramer5 Supporting Member

I ran 3 hackintosh's for about 1 1/2 years. They were on core 2 duo based machines running leopard. It took a few tries to get them running stable but once they were they we're trouble free.

I never dual booted because I also had a windows machine so I can't help there. As far as "specific hardware, none of mine were special nor were they similar spec to each other. For #3 I did select a mobo from a guide that recommended it as one that worked well.

One of them was the machine I used logic and 3 different audio interfaces ( 2 presonus, a firebox first then a firestudio, and later an MOTU 828) on.
    Learning logic was my original reason for making the hackintosh . I liked logic fine but really fell in love with the apple OS. And made a permanent switch some time in 2011. We're all apple now with one of each model, Mac pro, Mac mini, iMac, and MacBook pro all in use every day.

There are some great forums out there and I'd suggest looking for build guides that use hardware the same as what your pc is running now. It can make the install much easier.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I know it can be done but I don't know how. A friend just made a "hackbook" using snow leopard on a Windows 7 PC laptop. He uses it for recording without any problems.
  8. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

You'd be better off googling for info, man. It's definitely out there. I think Lifehacker did a few articles on making a Hackintosh machine. That's probably the route I'll go as opposed to buying a Mac Pro. As sexy as those things are they just cost too much for me to justify one.
  9. jkramer5

jkramer5 Supporting Member

I would suggest this from my experience with dual booting a long time ago, better to go with seperate drives than partitions , if I recall correctly, when u install the hacked apple OS, a boot loader is also installed, it's required for faking that you have a Mac. I'm sure it contains the option to select the boot drive .

Also everything you need is at insanelymac.com