1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Had my first lesson last night

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Llaslo, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Llaslo

Llaslo

It went really well. I felt like the instructor and I got along pretty well. We went over a lot of basics like fret hand and right hand techniques. In addition, we covered Major Pentatonic Scales. He also went over some of the differences in the various styles of music as it pertains to bass.

We finished up with running through "Sunshine of your love" by Creme and "Hard Day's Night" by the Beatles. I can't wait for my lesson next week.
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

:hyper::bassist::hyper:
    Welcome to the bottom end.
  3. dave64o

dave64o Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on taking the plunge - and on deciding to work with an instructor. Too many people here will say things like "I don't need sum muzic Nazi shuvving his cliched ideez down my throat, I'm gonna make muzic that F'n RAWKS!!!!!". :rolleyes:

If you have a good instructor - and you're a good student - you'll likely get a lot farther a lot faster than you would doing it solely on your own. Sounds like you're off to a good start!
    :bassist:
  4. Llaslo

Llaslo

I know those songs are relatively easy, but it's fun to see some quick progress too. Really looking forward to this weeks lesson. I've been playing at least an hour / day.
  5. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

+1 to that
  6. Russell L

Russell L

Congrats on a good feeling about it all. Don't forget to also "play with" your bass like a toy, finding stuff you just like to do on it, aside from your lessons. Also, don't be shy about asking your teacher about anything in particular that interests you. If he's really a good teacher he will address it in some way, even if it's to say that you aren't ready for that yet. Sounds like you have a good guy so far.
  7. Llaslo

Llaslo

I played for about 3 hours last night (basically until my hand was cramping). I have rarely found anything that I enjoy as much as this. I just wish I'd done it sooooo much sooner. I'm 40 years old. Kind of late to pick this up, but I figure better late than never.
  8. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Great! Happy learning!
  9. maxpayneatlarge

maxpayneatlarge

Glad you're enjoying it Llaslo. Be careful with those marathon playing sessions early on though. I did the same thing (about the same age too) and I ended up with some tennis elbow/tendonitis issues. I can still play and all, but I have to be really careful and make sure to warm up/stretch properly.

I'd advise to make sure you get good rest in your arms too.

Have fun!
    Chris
  10. dave64o

dave64o Gold Supporting Member

Youngster! I was 45 when I started taking lessons. My work and family situation is pretty crazy, so I don't expect to have the time to commit to a band until my son is out of high school. I'll be 51 then! So, for now, I'm just sitting in with my instructor's band when I can get out for that.

I've also seen plenty of guys here on TB who started even later than me. There's no such thing as "too old" if you're physically able and have the desire!
  11. Russell L

Russell L

Wonderful. If you like it so much that means you will learn easier. When I was a kid, learning, I never had to worry about progress happening (I didn't even think about it, actually). I was OBSESSED. I HAD to go play.

Keep at it, pal. And, like they say, it's never too late.
  12. Llaslo

Llaslo

Well, I have been learning the Pentatonic scales, basic 12-bar blues, and can play along 100% with the two songs he had me work on, "Hard Days Night" by the Beatles and Creme's, "Sunshine of Your Love" I don't miss any notes, and I can do all of this without watching the fretboard. The only real issue I have is some occasional fret buzz, but I think that will get better over time. My fingers are kind of short anyway, so as I continue to stretch I think that will become less prone (at least I hope). I've also been able to naturally alternate my two fingers on my right hand, and easily move my thumb around on the strings as I move up and down the strings, but I do sometimes play some notes louder and some notes more quietly.

So my current issues in what he's got me doing are:
    • Fret Buzz
    • Inconsistent Volume when plucking strings
    • Effectively muting all non-played strings

I figure these will come in time, and that as I practice it will become easier to stretch and play these notes more consistently as well.
  13. Russell L

Russell L

Try playing 124 with your fretting hand and see if it works for you. Most things can be done that way with less effort (or strain) than 1234. No need to always have a finger ready over each fret. Use 3 along side 4. It's your weakest finger anyway. Has your teacher mentioned 124 ( 1 2 3/4) yet?
  14. robotriot

robotriot

this pretty hard, I'm experiencing such issues right now.. hoping to recoup so I can get back to my new love
  15. Russell L

Russell L

Another type of injury you can get from playing too much at a time is kinda like a stone bruise on your fingertip. It takes a long time to go away sometimes. Watch out for overdoing it, although you might actually have to get hurt once to know how much is too much.