1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hadrien Feraud has replaced Matt Garrison as the Bass Player for the Zawinul Legacy B

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Whousedtoplay, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

2. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

3. randy clere

randy clere Supporting Member

yeah...? see how long HF can last... John McLaughlin fired him... Chic Corea fired him... all for playing to loud and too many notes all of the time. Would prefer MG any day.

4. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

I feel like the music that launched Jaco can probably handle Hadrien lol!!! Must be an absolute dream for HF, I wish him the best!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

We have already gone through all those "firings", "playing too loud", and "playing too many notes".
    No need to regurgitate it over and over again.

In my opinion, currently Hadrien Feraud is the most technically advanced electric bass player in the world.

What would be the reason for Chick Corea to record the album, "Vigil" with HF?

I really like his unique, easily recognizable, very "woody" bass tone, that allows us to clearly hear
    (1) not only his perfectly articulated phrasing but also
    (2) the way he controls the character of his phrasing.

7. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

He's DEFINITELY talented! And I also love his tone, especially on his solo album. Should be really cool with this Zawinul band.

How is that new Corea album? Been meaning to pick it up

8. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

I highly recommend it.

Spotify.com has Chick Corea's new album, "The Vigil".
    Just sign in and listen.
    https://play.spotify.com/album/7lOdZ8jOOPlB3xPskjSaAX

9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Hmmmm, what happened with Linley Marthe?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hadrien is indeed a badass. I also think he learned from his experience with McLaughlin, at least I hope.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I feel for Feraud. Nobody hires him just to hold it down, yet overplaying will get any bassist fired.

12. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

What Hadrien learned for sure is that at TalkBass some bass players treated him with disrespect.

13. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Yeah, I think people need to give the guy some leeway too where "maturing" is concerned. Most guys who have a lot of chops abuse those chops in their younger days and I think that's totally understandable. You also have a "bass scene" today that puts a lot of focus on virtuosity and "up-front" playing and then, of course, that's not what a lot of band leaders are looking for. I'm sure that Hadrien is not the same player he was a few years ago. I'd also wager that most great players in the past, at some point, got beat-downs from the "older guys" in the band. The thing is that now such beat-downs get broadcast via social media and become focal points of discussions (not to mention the basis for all kinds of conclusions on a player).

14. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

As I mentioned in the past, John McLaughlin - an outstanding and venerable musician - broke some unwritten rules by saying things that were hurtful to other musician.
    What's good for tabloids is not proper for JM.

15. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Saw Hadrien on a Jean Luc Ponty vid and when the keyboardist was soloing he didn't give him room. Seems like the concept of space and rests have no place when he is plying his craft, and he was loud. Song was Celtic Steps, the Jig.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Welcome to the internet. Who HASN'T been treated with disrespect on the internet? Price you pay for chasing the fame dragon.

17. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Amen.

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    Or not chasing it. :D

19. cocobass

cocobass

Haha...once I posted on a youtube video of HF that I appreciate his virtuosity, but prefer Richard Bona's sensability. Lets just say I got raked over the coals by HF's league of worshipers that thought I was a moron for not drinking the cool aid and calling HF god of bass.

He has mastered the fretboard and is a nice guy, but you'll never see him in a band holding down a groove until he matures musically. Imagine HF in a band, playing My Girl, opening the tune with sixteenth notes Jaco style and overpowering the singer through the end- LOL! HF is our bass brother, he may never play R&B, and if he doesn't tame himself, his legacy will be the NAMM booth.

20. cocobass

cocobass

I can imagine JM or Chick looking over their shoulder, thinking ***? Jaco mastered, hell, created this style of playing. In a sense, its bebop sax lines on bass and therein lays the problem. How many sax players are holding down the bottom in bands? Used judiciously for occasional fills and certainly for solos, its great. Used as a staple....fail.

21. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    LOL! You're not the only one that this has happened to. :D