Hadrien Feraud is a MONSTER!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

So finally finished and uploaded this solo that Hadrien did from Bireli Lagrene's album! Spent many hours transcribing this by ear and can say was the toughest solo I've had to workout yet! What is scary is that this solo of his is 6 years old...

Let me know what you think, and for anyone else who transcribes what programs are you using? I was using Windows Media Player slowdown function and then at last minute discovered the brilliant 'Transcribe!' Program!

Brazilfunk and Bass Baron like this.
  2. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Awesome work. It doesn't look like he was making big interval jumps back then. I think his playing has gotten more angular.

3. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

YOU, sir, are the monster for being able to not only figure it out, but then be able to play it! I WISH I could play half as good as you!

...but, yes, Hadrien Feraud is a beast!

4. bongostealth

Did you study music professionally?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Yeah, i agree with you, but it does vary from solo to solo i feel!

Thank's man - i appreciate the kind words! still working on a few other solo's of his in between learning sets for band's etc, so please subscribe to the channel if this interests you as a couple more will be up in the following month's :)

I studied music after high-school at a college in my town for 2 year's and then went on to doing it full-time as a living :)

7. bongostealth

I'm already a YouTube subscriber to your channel!

8. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

9. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Awesome! He's definitely a bad boy!
    Great execution on the transcription! Kudos!
    You young whipper snappers with your crazy Willis ramps! Get off my lawn! LOL! :D

10. joe vegas

joe vegas

seriously funny, Roy!!

GREAT job on the solo. Hadrien's the benchmark.

11. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Thanks for the kind compliments and constructive criticism man :) i'm very aware about my anchoring thumb on the B-string, it tends to be the string that ring's out the most when doing runs/phrases on other strings, so i guess that's why i have stuck with that approach to choke the string rather than the 'floating thumb' technique for the moment, but am slowly adapting to it, and always open to trying new/different techniques to enhance and make my playing easier to do!

About that 'Marching powder' solo, haha! it is an absolute beauty! and has a lot of amazing stuff going on in that 5 minutes! aswell as being in 15/8! i actually chose the one titled 'Hang em up' - () to transcribe from the same Bubbatron gig, and got 50% through it before getting distracted by wanting to transcribe other solo's of his, so that one is still sitting there waiting to be completed!

Thanks Roy, haha! have had the ramp on for a few month's now and really digging it for the fusion/jazz type of playing.

Thanks Joe, looking forward to doing a few more! :)

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Where can I get a professional salary to study music???

:eek:

Brazilfunk likes this.
  13. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Now that would be a cool job for a few years! ;)

14. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Fun with a k all day! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    (visitor from Planet Funktron)
    What a treat! I stay pretty busy working out Bernard Edwards and Bootsy lines- been fired from many bands for emulating stuff like this (poorly is the problem).

15. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Really nice work! You can see/ hear the effort that went into that. As a closet transcriber myself, I have been working some pretty hard solos as of late. Transferring fusion guitar solos to bass. I find myself playing much faster/longer and involved lines that require much work to get to speed.

Some questions for you as you developed playing up tempo solos.

When you have a phrase that requires work what do you do to get it to speed? ( other than upping the metronome tempo).

Any right hand exercises you practiced or recommendations? You have a great light touch and excellent raking. I had to completely change my right hand technique to accommodate these new solos and I am interested in what others that play similar style solos did for their right hand.

Again, great work!

John

16. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Thanks bro, yeah you have to use it in the right situation, you can't have your 'fusion' or 'jazz' mindset on a gig that doesn't require it, everyone goes through that phase of trying the chops they have learned from a player in every setting, but that's the journey of music, learning/maturing through experience.

Hi John, thank's for your kind words!

about technique and increasing speed/accuracy with certain lines, i usually warm up for about 10 minutes before going into a 30 minute period of repeating a line to get up to speed and fluidity. So i'll run some chromatic scales, in various positions up and down the neck, going up one string, and back down, across the fretboard, ascending and descending like you would with any scale!

but, the metronome thing routine also works great for some people, that in itself is pretty much an exercise! when you're starting slow and increasing the tempo! so with any of that you can't really go wrong! hope that helps and best of luck with your transcribing :)

- Bill.

17. cnltb

cnltb

A BIG +1 to that.

18. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Yeah man, i have a lot of music in the pipeline, been composing various thing's for the past 3-4 years but been so busy focussing on learning set's for bands/dep gigs/recording sessions that it hasn't been my full priority, but this is the year it's all going to come together with other musicians to record! so will keep you all posted when that is done! going to be on Soundcloud and possibly on Spotify/iTunes aswell! :)

19. groooooove

groooooove

i didn't realize it was a transcription, i thought that was him playing.

bravo. i know how hard it can be transcribing lines like that..

im sure you got a lot of good stuff out of it!

-t

20. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

I think you're totally misunderstanding what i was trying to get across (but at the same time i appreciate your passion for caring!) i literally haven't had the time to organise musicians to rehearse and record my material because i've been out earning money for my living which is music, so that includes:

Teaching students through-out the week
    Teaching dep's for gig's that i get double booked on
    Learning setlist's for band's (am currently in 8 projects!)
    Learning and working out parts for song's for studio recording session's

etc etc etc!

and the transcribing in between all that is because it excites me to learn these things, and i like to challenge myself and push my playing and my ear beyond its normal boundaries at home, i don't transcribe this stuff to learn chops that i can pull out, i haven't waited to put my own music out there because i want to get better first, its just having the time to prioritise it and get it all moving!

hope that makes sense! :)

21. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

I'm very aware of that, same goes with any other player, Wooten, Miller, Jaco etc! but of course you can understand why they have played it, the chord's are there and the notes played over the top of it are there, you can see the patterns and the repeated phrases/arpeggios/scales etc, so its a very big lesson in all of that understanding when transcribing these lines when you have the chord's underneath! it's a lot to do with theory..

Myself i'm more of an ear player! my theory is not great at all (definitely improving in spots though!) so when i solo i'm playing from my ear rather than thinking scales/arpeggio's/modes/chops too much.. and i like it that way! its like playing from your soul, rather than thinking robotically!