Hagstrom Viking Bass Reissue.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Meddle, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Meddle

Meddle

It appears Hagstrom have recently brought back the Viking bass. Its cool because its a hollowbody shorty for less than £500 GBP here.

I don't see Hagsrom mentioned much on this forum, so any guesses as to if this bass is good? It seems to have similar switching to the Beluga in terms of coil splits and stuff. I never fancied the styling of the Beluga but I played one and it sounded ok.
    [​IMG]
  2. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Ooooooooo... i LIKE that!
  3. manbearpig97

manbearpig97

Dang. More GAS.
  4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    The Hagstrom name is owned now by US Music, who also own Eden, Washburn, Randall, Parker, and others. They've reissued a bunch of the old Hagstrom designs. I'm not sure exactly where they're built on the Pacific rim.
  5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    that bass is gorgeous!
    i saw one online in cherry red and if it's ever available in the states i may just have to buy it.
  6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Good question at this point.

They used to be Cor-Tek Korean build, but whether or not they're Indonesian now, I dunno.

I've read some pretty nasty buyer reviews of their stuff.
  7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
  8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    thanks Chuck.
    turns out, for years i've been good friends with the owners of three of their SoCal dealers so i should be able to order one at 0-10% over cost. why did i have to see this? :eek:
  9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Wow, I'm gonna have to see if I can have one of these ordered in.
  10. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    played a cherry-red one at NAMM, unplugged. very nice feel, felt significantly more solid than the Eastwood semi-hollow basses I've played. can't comment on the pickups, but I bet they sound pretty much how you'd expect.

re: the other hagstrom guitars, I know some folks that like them. like most guitars in that class they're hit or miss, so order from a store with a good return policy and you'll be covered. i've played several at Truetone in Santa Monica, and most felt really nice, especially the hollowbodies. a couple of the SG looking guitars were way too heavy for their size, but others were fine.
  11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Nice to see the return of the Concorde. Yes, Concorde. The Viking was (is) the guitar version, while the bass version was always called the Concorde.

Hope the new ones are made as well as the originals were.

TD
  12. GM60466

GM60466

the Beluga iiif looks kind of coool
  13. Meddle

Meddle

I finally got my hands on one yesterday, and I was a little underwhelmed. The 6-way switch on the cutaway bout was rather flimsy and I wouldn't want to be the guy to replace this non-standard part when it farts out. The pots were also easy to push around and were obviously not that high a quality. The finish was perfunctory, but hardly amazing. Finally, I'm not keen on the ergonomics of a shortscale bass with a massive body.
  14. slantedpanted

slantedpanted

I have played two of them in local stores - the first one felt like a really cheapo asian made bass (which they are) - no way to justify the pricetag - i have tried some Hag reissues that were excellent - so this one was quite disappointing.

The second one was an all white one - looked like a million $$ - and was actually pretty nice - yes the electronics are flimsy, but it felt like a solid instrument compared to the first one i played. So i guess if you want one youd better play it to make sure you get a good one.

I want one in red or white - but ill hold out a bit for the streetprice to drop.
  15. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

16. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

FFS, I had just posted in a thread about the absence of GAS, and then I have to see that Concord. Well, I know what I'll be thinking about at work today.

...Wow, I'm glad my girlfriend isn't reading this. "You thought about a bass all day and not me?!?!?!"

And yes, I agree. They should definitely reissue the Concord. My bank account seems to disagree, but when has that ever mattered?
  17. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Here's a pic of my parts Concorde; it's a '67 Viking body, '63 Futurama neck, DeArmond/Harmony pickup, re-worked Guild pickup, and other stuff. I call it Hagenstein.
    [​IMG]
  18. ptdarkone

ptdarkone

Bought one with a blem on Ebay for $530 including shipping. It feels and sounds good to me. I agree, there are parts that feel flimsy. The rotary knob especially. It's a shortscale, but doesn't really feel like one. Shortscale strings will not work on it because of the tailpiece. There is no case currently being made by Hagstrom for this model. I ordered a Epiphone Jack Casidy case that should fit. All told, I am happy with it. Recorded some punk rock stuff the other day. Tone was even all the up and down the board. No dead spots. Used it on a acoustic-y gig a couple of nights ago. Big, fat comforting tones. I bought a black one. Wanted one in white, but Hagstrom has not shipped any of those for quite some time. Their customer support is friendly but they seem to know little about the product they're selling. Fantastic value though. I'm giving this an "A".
  19. ptdarkone

ptdarkone

The Epiphone Jack Casidy bass case is a perfect fit!
  20. orfeu

orfeu

I found a review on a german site. The reviewer tries out all pickup combinations. Informative, though not very inspired playing... and questionable tuning/intonation... but decent sound quality.

Hagstrom Viking Bass / Tests / MusikMachen.de

the reviewer likes it, btw.

best regards
    Christoph