Hal FUNK basses? stumbled upon this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cubanbass, Jan 16, 2014.

1. cubanbass

cubanbass Supporting Member

So I'm not sure if this is real or not but saw this on Facebook.

The company description, and the post about no knobs on the bass but the controls will be available "remotely" makes me wonder if this is a joke...

https://www.facebook.com/likefunkbass

2. zeke917

zeke917

This is a real mystery to me. He's been on Facebook for a few years now. He makes some pretty bold statements on his designs, which seem come and go. At times he sounds as though he is the new messiah of the bass building world. When asked about cost or when/where they will be available, however, he is evasive.His woodworking skills are great, but the instruments are basically Alembic copies IMHO. I have never seen or heard a Funk Bass with strings on it and being played. If he is putting these out he may be doing it to selected group of players. His self-promoting is way over the top in terms of an instrument that has never been heard. As a musical instrument builder, he disdains the fact that people need to hear his product and see it. Instead all that exist are photos of instruments that are partially built. I think if he chilled on the self-promotion and presented his product clearly, he would do well. The latest remote control design to me is not something that many players are going to want.

3. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I have heard of them.. Never heard one.

4. Wallace320

Wallace320

why not on facebook too?

many people pretend to be something/somebody: he's supposedly needin' to be looked at as a luthier.

As if Alembic aren't already adventurous by themself!

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hal used to have a couple really nice Alembics and used to spend a lot of time posting at the Alembic Club. One of his Alembics has a body that he designed that looks an awful lot like an arrowhead. Pretty cool looking, actually. He has used that instrument as the protoype for his own line of instruments.

[​IMG]

As has been said, I've seen plenty of works in progress but I am not aware of any delivered instruments or sound samples. He has been to a couple recent NAMM events. Not certain if he demo'd any of his instruments there, either. One of his earlier concepts had knobs, but they were recessed to be flush with the body, so they were effectively inlaid dials. Seemed like a cool idea. Remote control? Not so much IMHO. If I'm changing settings on my bass, it's strapped on so why would I need a remote?

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    He's the 'Catfish bass builder' of Facebook. They should do an episode and track him down.