Hal Leonard's Complete Bass Method Progression

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slapfunk987, Mar 15, 2014.

1. slapfunk987

slapfunk987

Was just wondering, if were one to finish the Hal Leonard Bass Method Complete Edition (Books 1-3) by Ed Friedland, would one be good enough at reading to play out of the Real Book at a proficient level??

2. DannyBob

DannyBob

Should be, especially as it covers playing from chords and sight reading. Coming towards the end of the book myself and it has helped me hugely in terms of musical theory and ability :)

3. Reddog01

Reddog01

I'm in book three right now, and I find myself going back to previous lessons and working on them some more. My personal opinion is that if a person can REALLY finish the series (he/she a can play the etudes reasonably well), he/she should have a leg up on many players who are "winging it." Reading music is like other kinds of reading. We first start reading each note in isolation (like 1st graders learning to read sentences), but eventually, we begin to read in chunks. We see familiar rhythm patterns or note patterns, and we know what to do. If we get to that point, we ought to be able to handle many kinds of things that are thrown at us.