1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Half-Wounds with "Fatter" tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chico16, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Chico16

Chico16

Out of all the Half/ground/compression-wound strings that you've tried, which have delivered a fuller, ballsy bass tone? I played GHS pressure wounds for about 6 months until it was time to change them. I switched to DR fat beams since I read they had one of the best low ends, but then I realized it was nothing I couldn't achieve with the GHS. Now I'm back on the market for Pressure wounds and was wondering what else people have experienced!

I play in a Reggae-rock band. Even though the drummer rapes his set with rock crashes, my bass lines focus more on reggae one drop patterns.
  2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

I haven't used them enough to recommend wholeheartedly but Ken Smith Slick Rounds might the ticket.
  3. Chico16

Chico16

Hmmm I looked at the compressors but not the slicks.. And well the description does say that it delivers a fat bright tone. Don't like the bright part but the fat part sounds tempting lol since these are still roundwounds though I'm not sure I want to take another chance and spend $40 dollars again just to throw the strings away like the FatBeams... Dammit! Lol
  4. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Become a supporting member and sell 'em used here. ;)
  5. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

I have D'Addario Half rounds on one of my Jazz basses.
    I wouldn't say they are particularly fat sounding, so I'd suggest avoiding them.
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I would give La Bella Deep Talkin' Quarter Rounds a spin.
  7. Chico16

Chico16

LOL well thanks for that!
  8. Chico16

Chico16

I would, but they only have 4 string sets :(
  9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    They do make others... Just not readily available... I'm working on changing that...
  10. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I had labellas on one of mine and they were thumpy and low....but a little too much. I found pressurewounds to be just right for that thumpy yet a little bright.
  11. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

I think the slick rounds would do it as well. I used a set for a month or so and they were pretty stout in the low mids with not much on the top end. I liked them, but .106 set was a bit much tension for me.
  12. Root 5

Root 5

Surprising. I think the D'Addario Half Rounds are very fat sounding.

What gauge were you using?
  13. Root 5

Root 5

I wouldn't be too inclined to categorize pressurewounds as half rounds; they're not the same thing.