Halloween Candy Etiquite Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Immigrant, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Immigrant

Immigrant

I recently discovered two leftover bags of candy left over from last Halloween, each about half full and closed well, inside a tightly wrapped plastic shopping bag. It was never subjected to temperature extremes or around tobacco smoke.

They are Smarties and DumDums, not chocolate anything.

If I sample them and they seem OK, would it be improper of me to hand it out to my crackhead neighbor's hellions this Halloween?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Probably. I'd snack on my candy throughout the course of the year when I was younger and never had any issues with it. Try it out to be sure, but you should be alright.

3. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

If they taste normal. .. is anyone going to notice anyways?

I have Halloween candy from like 3 years ago. Doesn't stop me from eating it!

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Sure. Let 'em have it. It'll be fine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

Thank you.

Your responses have lifted any guilt I may have later even if everything goes swimmingly.

7. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Ha! We found some "fun dip" packs from when my now 9 year old was in kindergarten. Valentines packs, not Halloween, but still. The kids are still alive.....

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

The worst that will happen is the candy might be a little stale. It won't hurt anyone.

9. bassteban

bassteban

The stuff never had any nutritional value to begin with- why worry now? Preservatives, artificial color, sugar- it will outlive Twinkies

10. tplyons

tplyons

Being that those candies are made by competitors of ours, I don't mind old candy getting out... nothing in there is harmful. If those were some of my brands, I'd tell you to eat them really quick and buy more ;)

Both are sugar based with no fats, so they'll have a longer shelf life. The only consideration is texture... if they've absorbed any signifiant moisture, the texture will change. Smarties will become 'pasty' in your mouth and the Dum Dums will be really sticky and chewy instead of crunchy.

But if you still enjoy them, the kids will too. And if they were properly sealed, there should be nothing harmful in there.

11. Immigrant

Immigrant

Yep, the DumDums were sticky, but the Smarties weren't bad at all. So, I'm keeping the Smarties for myself and handing out the DumDums. :D

12. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

oh yeah...dumdums keep forever...they still have some around that came off Noah's Ark on crutches...

my wife hands them out to anybody who wants one in her beauty shop and we have some which must be pushing 4-5 years old...she buys big bags and dumps them all in a glass bowl...no way to tell the new stock from the old...

haven't had any complaints...:D

[​IMG]

13. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Random DumDum factoid: The mystery flavor is always changing because it's the sucker made from when they are changing flavors. They do a "running change" in production where Flavor #2 is pushed through the production line right behind Flavor #1 without tearing the line apart for the big clean-out.

14. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

No, but just out of simple kindness, you might want to throw in some Flintstones vitamins or something.
    :p

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Or some Depo-Provera.

I am pretty sure Smarties were limited to a wartime manufacturing run and they've been selling off the original batch for the last ~70 years.

16. Truktek2

Truktek2

I used to work for a large convenience store chain when I was a kid. All the leftover halloween candy that didn't sell would be put in storage in the basement for the following year. Take that for what it's worth.

17. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

why don't you get some good candy instead?

18. Immigrant

Immigrant

Excellent question!

The last two years have been pretty rough. That's why I bought what I did last year instead of Snickers or something that would've been finished off instead of sitting around. I live on Ramen noodles and PB&J sandwiches and never buy candy, so I'm trying to avoid buying more that doesn't get handed out to sit until next year.

I know, go get a job, pull yourself up, etc... I'm in the process of losing a leg, so that's out.

Happy Halloween!:p

19. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

I feel that man, I was just teasing,. sorry about your misfortune. hope it gets better soon.

20. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Media:
    Well, they don't have an expiration date so I think you are okay. The quality and flavor may have diminished slightly. :confused:

21. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

If you're going to be cheap, go all the way. Lock your door and turn off your lights and pretend no one is home - just like I do every year. Just make sure you keep a vigil on your property. If anyone tries to prank your house out of spite, pop up out of the shadows, screaming like a madman and demand they give all their candy to you.

Remember, Halloween is all about having fun and getting free candy.