Hamer Club?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GearHeadBassMan, Aug 13, 2008.

1. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

Anyone else out their Rockin some Hamer basses?! Lets start this club off!

[​IMG]

My Velocity in Action!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  3. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

i'm #1
    iamthebassman #2
    ??? The most exclusive club on TB?

Awesome bass btw!
  4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    For the first half of the 90s I toured the country with that bass and a black one just like it as a backup. We sold a lot of CDs, especially in Japan, and the 12-strings always had a small crowd staring at them while they were on stands before the show. Nowadays a 12-string bass isn't that strange a thing to see but back then they were still pretty rare.
  5. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist

6. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Alas, I only own a Monaco Elite guitar so I can't join. But I will own a US Cruise bass five string eventually. Love those things.

BTW, any of you play the new Monaco bass yet? Those look smoking.
  7. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

TwelveString is #3

No, I havent seen a Monaco yet! Once I scrape some cash together I'm gonna be expanding my collection for sure though.

maybe a Velo II, if they're anything like my Velo...
  8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Supporting Member

Yep, count me in. Used to have a B8 as well but sold it.

iamthebassman, what band were you in if you don't mind me asking?

Attached Files:

9. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

Nola's #4... Still the most exclusive club on TB I think?

Not as exclusive as the "12 string Hamer" club though!
  10. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Though I play my Fender and Gibson basses quite often, I also have a Hamer bass (Chaparral Max w/quilted maple body and EMG's). My nick here comes from playing mostly Hamer GUITARS but I like the Chap Max a lot.
  11. derrick007

derrick007

I just bought what i think is a hamer standard bass. It's a black explorer, double EMG style humbuckers, with a pickguard, and the oversized explorer headstock hamer uses. Thats a standard bass right? it's on layaway, and like an idiot i didn't right down the serial or take any pictures before i left the store. Well what i do know is that it's pretty old, in great condition, looks great, plays great, and was only $200, so long live the Hamer!
  12. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

I just saw a monaco!
    gasgasgas

gotta get my hands on one for a bit!

Hamer... #5
    derrick... #6

How do you guys pronouce the brand? Hammer or HAYmer? Also, any history lessons you older fellows (not flaming you guys, im only 20!) have about these guitars, and why they're nowadays known for making crappy knock-offs?
  13. MyUsernameHere

:confused:

Hamer was never that well known for its basses, but as far as guitars go...I don't know where you got that.

Hamer USA still makes every guitar they produce by hand, the only CNC usage is to cut the rough shape of solid bodies. Everything else is by hand. They are very well respected in the industry, and served as virtually the only example of a company of its size that actually improved its quality after it was purchased by a larger corp. (Kayman Inc.).

Take a look at the company web site, or look around the net for shops that actually carry them (Willcutt comes to mind) and you'll see that the guitars aren't cheap knock-offs--neither are they priced as such.

Part of what you're thinking probably has to do with not having a lot of famous players endorsing their stuff anymore. They used to have tons of people using their superstrat-type guitars in the 80s, but times and tastes change. Doesn't change the fact that they still make some great guitars though.

Also, I've yet to meet someone who's seen or played my Elite and not drooled all over themselves because of it.
  14. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

i might be thinking of slammer by hamer, since thats really the only brand I've seen, but when I told other people my age that I got a Hamer they're like "arent those crap?" but then i show them and they hear how growly and fantastic they are.

My bass teacher has a hamer guitar he swears by, Maybe its just that their heyday was in the 80s?
  15. DLEE

DLEE

How about an 84 flashback! I'll try to post my Custom 8-string and 80's Cruisebass this weekend.
    [​IMG]
  16. MyUsernameHere

Lots of brands make instruments for specific price points. Slammer is Hamer's cheaper line of imports and the ones you generally find in most chain music stores.

US Hamers aren't found all over the place (as compared to a company like Gibson or Ibanez) because they just don't make a whole heck of a lot of them.

^Nice hair by the way.:)
  17. StoBro

StoBro

I have a couple of USA Hamers:
    My bolt-neck Chaparral bass with a solid quilt maple body and reverse headstock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Monaco bass in Indigo:
    [​IMG]
    Which matches it's near-twin Monaco guitar:
    [​IMG]
  18. derrick007

derrick007

I always say it like "haymer" cause my dad says it like that. just picked up my standard bass today, i'll post pics in a few hours.
  19. MyUsernameHere

StoBro those are some mighty fine Monacos you have.

Post some sound clips if you can. I'm dieing to hear what one of those basses sounds like.
  20. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

Dlee #7
    StoBro with the niiiice monaco #8

also would love sound clips. the monaco is one of the few LP body designs that I like better than gibsons.