1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

hamer cruise total remodel need help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steelcoaster, Sep 5, 2012.

1. steelcoaster

steelcoaster

Hey Everybody with a clue,

I am truly clueless but want to tear down strip sand replace pick ups and pots. I plan to keep. Fingerboard and frets and nut intact. Will remove but reuse bridge.

Here is my rough plan of attack take everything off sand back of neck due to previous owner who leaned it against in available table with an edge. The body and head I want to paint a very deep purple. The back if neck will be finished silk. And I want a deep shine on the body and head

Now the thing I know the least. I want to replace all the electronics. Would truly like to add active pick ups. But cutting for the battery? And adding pots switches ? I like the set up on ibanez srg. Any knowledge of how to do...what to get...where to get ...how much to pay....and if I am over my head

Thanks
    Rick
  2. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

I'd go with EMG pickups/electronics as they have a variety of preamps available in various layouts and the guts are small. You can probably fit the battery in the electronics compartment without any additional routing.
  3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

What's wrong with the way it is now? Hamer Cruise Bass's keep their value if all original, unless its really beat to #%@, (or the first edition which was like a PJ)
  4. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

Is this an 80s set neck P/J Cruise, or the 90s Jazz Bass Cruise?
  5. steelcoaster

steelcoaster

From checking out pick ups my guess its the 90's jazz bass. It's only moderately beat up. Think I'm looking for a change and can't put out big bucks on something new. And I want to create my own look in the bass
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

You may be getting in over your head, especially if you've never pulled off a like-project before. Post some pics, please!

Suggestion: do the "free" stuff first. You can, for example, reduce the neck finish with some #000 steel wool and a little patience. Very effective and frequently staves off the need for a complete neck refin. Honestly, I wouldn't drop dime one into it unless I did a full cleaning job top-to-bottom first.

Riis
  7. 2-Sticks

2-Sticks

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: S.I.T. Strings & Halo Guitars
    I agree with what others have said, these bases tend to hold thier value so you may want to hold off doing anything to drastic. Does yours have the Gotoh bridge or the 2Tek? If you dont like the stock pick ups there should be enough room in the compartment for a 9volt if you choose to go active.
  8. steelcoaster

steelcoaster

How do I post pics?
  9. steelcoaster

steelcoaster

Ok. I found how can't do it from my phone will have to do it from my laptop next time I'm on it. Prolly tomorrow.
  10. exmaxima1

exmaxima1

Absolutely. The 90's CruiseBass had an EMG option that included JV pickups and BTC preamp (I have one). Everything---including the battery---fits in the stock compartment.