1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hamer USA Chaparral 5 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nosajwp, Nov 4, 2013.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp

Anyone here have one? What do you think of them? Anyone know where I might be able to find a nice used one for sale?

2. Up the dose

Up the dose

I have one. I got it new in 94. It was supposed to be my backup bass to my much prettier Yamaha Nathan East bass. (My first 5 string) My band preferred the Hamer. My drummer at the time was an engineer working in a NYC studio and I trusted his ears completely. When I later heard recordings of our rehearsals it was obvious. The Hamer was better. I eventually sold the Yamaha when funds got tight and my car needed a major repair. A few years later I was able to get a really good deal on a Ken Smith 5 string. It was a Chuck Rainey model. A really beautiful instrument that had a body of solid quilted maple. Again, I thought the Hamer would be the backup to the prettier more expensive bass. My band liked the Hamer better. I have also sold the Ken Smith now too. It is an amazing bass. Solid mahogany with EMG soapbars with the BTC preamp. It has a selectable boost on 4 settings that you can choose by pressing a dip switch in the control cavity I think I set it at 3K.Very useful. I have recorded with it and played many gigs with it. It continues to exceed my expectations repeatedly now for almost 20 years. I play in a country band now and the Hamer doesn't get out as much. It is a solid black bass with a reverse headstock. It is very much a "metal" looking bass. I have always felt the reverse headstock with the B string being the longest string contributes to the incredible tone on the low notes. In the metal band I used to play in we used to tune down sometimes a whole step and a half and the B string was always clear and had some tension too! I have only had to make very minor neck adjustments over the years. The neck is rock solid. It's a shame they don't make them any more. Occasionally you will see them here or on the bay. Keep looking. When you get one you won't be disappointed.

3. millsbass5

millsbass5

I too can't believe Hamer isn't producing high-quality basses anymore. Sure, they still put out the U.S. 12-string, but, how many of those get moved every year? I just don't get it with some builders. Their quality is too good not to have their foot in the door anymore.

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

They do? I was under the impression that Fender closed Hamer down for good last year.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. millsbass5

millsbass5

Well, see? That just proves my point even further! :D

Damn. Another one of the little guys gulped up by the monster. To be honest, I didn't even know they were bought out.