1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hammond B-3 tones from bass. I finally did it!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Steve Dallman, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I play in a 3 piece. I'm good at filling up holes, but I've always wished for something else to fill in now and then.

I've tried a lot of pedals, and I own a lot of pedals and rack effects. So far nothing worked well.

I got an idea and set it up this afternoon. Out of the tuner out on my PF-500 (guitar level) I went into a Behringer US600 Ultra Shifter/Harmonist set for 2 octaves up with no dry signal. Then into my old vocal harmonizer, a Digitech Vocalist VR (bought in the late 90's for $37 from a pawn shop.) From there into a Line 6 Leslie simulator. That box models the cabinets as well as providing the rotating effects. I plugged it into a guitar amp.

Wow, It worked perfectly. I get moving chords (4 part harmonies available along with octave below) two octaves above my bass lines.

I do want to add a compressor or limiter to the input, a volume pedal to bring the organ tones in and out, and maybe a delay or reverb pedal to extend the organ tones.

I had been jonesing for a Fishman Fission, but I held off as I'm not sure how well the static harmonies would actually work in our band.

No need now. I'll try to figure out how to get some clips on here. I'll have to box the rig up for the weekend.

I'm pretty stoked. I haven't used effects for quite a while, preferring the amp alone.

2. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

That sounds great! I'd love to hear those clips once you get them up on here.

3. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

I'd love to hear some clips, too. After trying out an EQD Organizer, which I really enjoyed, it would be interesting to compare the results.

4. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

That sounds pretty cool. Would like to hear as well. I was looking for a good organ sound and I teamed up a Strymon Lex with a Earthquaker Organizer. I am still messing around with it but it fills in a lot of empty spots and sound real good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I was looking for more than just octaves, and the Vocalist VR being driven by a 2 octave up signal did it. The rather extreme coloring of the Line 6 Rotomachine (cabinet modeling) finished the job. The moving harmonies track well. Although the Vocalist is a mono in effect, with the 2 octave above the bass signal, it is quite forgiving.

I tried it with a couple of Boss shifters (an older Harmonist and an older pitch shifter) but the octave aboves were too warbly for the Vocalist to handle.

The bare 2 octaves above sounds a little squirrelly and with the harmonies a bit Farfisa like, but with the Rotomachine takes on the Hammond tone. If I hit the Rotomachine hard enough, the sound takes on a bit of "key click" character.

One octave above didn't work that well. Two octaves above works great. It's just a matter now of finding the right harmonies and the settings that work with my bass patterns. It shouldn't take long. I got a feeling for finding the right intervals in one short afternoon.

7. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

I have had fairly decent results in this department using a POG, Soul Vibe, Chorus, and Delay...Mixed with slight Distortion