1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hampton Roads / Tidewater GTG - Feb 22nd 2014

Discussion in 'Social Events & GTG's [BG]' started by neurotictim, Dec 19, 2013.

1. neurotictim

neurotictim

Hey guys. Long time no see. I've been busy with life, the universe, and everything, but it's time for a GTG, and I just arbitrarily decided on a date. I'm pretty good at organizing events and such, and figured I'd just take the bull by the horns, so to speak.

Saturday, February 22st, 2014.

1342 Kempsville Road
    Virginia Beach, VA 23464

2pm - 6pm (or later!)

We've been given full use of a restaurant/sports bar called "The Zone, Rock and Sports Bar". Riz, the owner, is a friend of mine and has hosted my car club for a couple of events. He'll be opening early so it'll just be us low-enders and the staff - who will be working to make sure we're happy - so let's make sure to order lots of food and drinks and make it worth their while.

The place opens at 6, but we're not gonna be kicked out. We can continue till the wee hours, but there will be other customers, so we will have to turn it down and try to be considerate of them.

Plan on bringing basses, amps, effects, and a need to hang out and groove with other local bassists. I'll set up a "for sale" table if there's interest, so we can do some swap-meet style buying/selling/trading.

Not going to try to make this a big deal, just an informal get together type thing, and I'll get the ball rolling early enough so that you gigging types can at least swing by for a bit.

Post up in here if you're on board, and if you're Facebook-savvy, hit up the page.

Official Hampton Roads Bass Jam on Facebook.

:EDIT: PM me if you'd like to get involved with organizing the event or have questions in general.

2. LostInSauce

LostInSauce

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I'm in! I'll spread the word. You may just have a crapload of bassists come out to this one.

Funny, me and Chris Kohlman (Kohlman Bassworks) were talking about doing one. We had a nice small GTG at his house a couple weeks ago with about 7-8 of us bassists! We still may do it BBQ style in my backyard.

4. neurotictim

neurotictim

I knew it would take some time for people to see this. Next week I'll have a venue figured out.

I saw Chris posting on FB about his little shindig, but I was otherwise occupied. Looks like he's getting a nice following going with the Kohlman basses, I need to try one!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Spending time with you guys once every two years is about all I can handle...count me in!

Riis

7. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Just checking in. Anything new?

8. neurotictim

neurotictim

Updates updates updates.

Lol.

Due to scheduling conflicts, the date is subject to change. I know that's a hassle for some of you guys, and I apologize, but I believe this venue is worth it.

Right now it's tentatively rescheduled for the 22nd at The Zone Rock & Sports Bar, on Kempsville Rd. There's a stage and plenty of power, plus plenty of room for rigs and basses. He'll have kitchen staff available for full food service and of course lots of refreshing beverages.

Time wise I'm thinking we'll kick off around 2 pm and run till either everyone disappears OR the bar has to open for regular customers.

I'm waiting for official confirmation from the owner before making a Facebook event page.

9. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
  10. neurotictim

neurotictim

Official Hampton Roads Bass Jam on Facebook.

Well folks, it's official. The date has been changed, I'll PM a mod and see if I can get the thread title changed.

This is an open event for all bassists, double bassists, and assorted low end kin in the Hampton Roads area.

You're encouraged to bring your bass(es), your rigs, your pedals, and your appetite! The Zone, Rock and Sports Bar is hosting and will have full kitchen and bar staffed. They are opening up early just for us, so this will be a private event until 6pm. Let's show them our appreciation by making it worth their while!

We'll have a table or two set up for some swap-meet buying, selling, and trading.

We'll also have a drummer, guitarist, and possibly keyboardist on board so we can really jam.

Come on out, do some networking, some jamming, some eating and drinking!

11. neurotictim

neurotictim

Just giving this a lil Monday morning bump for visibility's sake.

FYI - There's no "snow date" for this GTG - if the weather is still acting the fool I'll get with Riz and we'll reschedule at his convenience.

12. deeptubes

deeptubes

I'm down! Tried to put a little something together before the weather turned. But, a lack of expressed interest made me let it fall by the wayside.

13. foudufafa

foudufafa Supporting Member

14. neurotictim

neurotictim

Two weeks from tomorrow, boys and girls, save the date!

15. Zooberwerx

I'm still good!

JOOC, who's gigging that night? We'll be in Newport News (the demilitarized zone) starting @ 9:30.

Riis

16. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

I am disappointed no one from my home town of Poquoson is attending, those bunch of non-talented slackers. They probably haven't had a bass player since I graduated in 1981.

17. Zooberwerx

My college room mate was a fella named Dean Burnett who graduated from Poquoson in '76...still lives there, too. Not a bassist but one of the best sax men I've ever heard.

Lotta talent hiding in that swamp!

Riis

18. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Dean is a pretty awesome sax player. Back then the high school was 6-12 grade so I was able to listen to him in band class. It was amazing watching him play two saxes at one time.

19. Zooberwerx

That's the guy. He and I went to Shenandoah Conservatory in Winchester. Learned a lot from him.

Riis

20. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Chris Kohlman (Kohlman Bassworks) and I will be there as well as a few others. Looking forward to seeing Riis and Tim and Dave H. I'll have my Laklands & Kohlmans in tow as well as my new micro-rig!

21. neurotictim

neurotictim

Two weeks out, folks. Meant to post earlier but got caught up in that most sacred of distractions... band practice.

:bassist: