Hand pain help!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by algernon4, Feb 8, 2013.

1. algernon4

algernon4

Hi. I'm new here and Wilks introduce myself shortly in a different forum. But I am having a problem! I currently play with a funk band in Korea and when I play songs like sex machine or express yourself which have big octaves, especially sex machine because I play it eb octave twice then ab Bb db bd db I get a tight pain between ny thumb and index finger on that side of my hand.

This is obviously a technique problem. Is there anything I can do or another way to play the tune to alleviate this pain. Honestly sometimes I can't even finish the tune.

I've also for blisters on me ring fingers. I'm probably playing too hard, but I'm trying to get a dirty funk pop with the fingers while I work on my slap.

Thanks and happy playing.

2. algernon4

algernon4

Re the blister..should I tape it or let it go away naturally??

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

I assume the pain is in the fretting hands and the blisters on the plucking hands?

The blister is there because you have to much pressure on the friction you create when plucking.
    So either lighten up the touch or let the blister develop into a callus of sorts, hard skin, and the proble is solved.
    Or do as many players do uses super glues on the tips to protect them. But it must be a, Butyl Cyanoacrylate, based super glue, one used to bond skin. Check the formula on the packet, it should state which one it is (super glues have two basic formulas, Cyanoacrylate and Butyl cyanoacrylate).
    Search for what the brand name is for your area, there are many brands to choose from, I use the one with a brush.
    I just paint a thin coat on, blow it dry, then repeat till I get the thickness I want.
    It soon wears off, but it will highlight the idea that, if my playing is removing that much glue then I am indeed playing to hard.

Pain is easy to check and relieve because you are playing with to much pressure, that is the number one reason for that pain you experience. Constant use of to much pressure if it develops pain is normally ignored under the idea of "no pain no gain" which is a totally false way to deal with any bass playing related pain....playing bass should be pain free.

Before you play you should warm up and stretch the hands and forearms, chech the link below for the basics in stretches.
    These stretches are the more common for the muscle groups using in playing.

Pay attention to the thumb stretch and the finger spreads section as they apply to your problem

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Fergie is right on when he says if it hurts, you do something wrong.

Before working on your technique, I'd look at a setup for your bass. How's the action? If it's way too high that explains a lot and may not even be a technique issue (from my standpoint high action would certainly explain the pressure on your thumb). You might also want to consider switching to lighter gauge strings for less tension.

For right hand, turn up the amp and play lighter. Now that is actually a technique issue because you have a certain tendency to pluck a bit harder in a band setting than you do when practising alone (at least that is a very common issue with a lot of players I talked to, myself included). It is something that you will have to force yourself into doing until you don't have urges to pluck harder anymore.

Better yet, have some face to face time with a teacher. He could most likely make better assessments of your problems than we can over the internet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. algernon4

algernon4

This is all great thanks!! I live in Korea so if I can find a good teacher with good English I will!! Thanks again

7. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Goes without saying that if it does not improve, see a doctor or medical professional.:)

8. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

You may be working too hard.

I may be wrong here, but another option may be that you need to adjust your volume so that you can hear what you're doing. When I've found that I have this problem I check to make sure that I'm not trying to overcompensate for lack of stage volume.

The stretching and physical exercise is important, but you may need to adjust your monitor/stage mix to hear yourself better too.

9. hampulator

hampulator

Take two asperin and call me in the morning! ;)