1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hand sanitizer smells like liquor?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by line6man, Apr 6, 2010.

1. line6man

line6man

I bought this bottle of hand sanitizer the other day, because I used up the little bottle of Purell that I usually keep with me.

It smells like alcohol, but not the usual hand sanitizer alcohol. Apparently there is some sort of orange fragrance in it that makes it smell like some sort of orange liqueur.

I had two different people take a whiff of the stuff, and they both agreed undeniably that it smelled like an orange liqueur.

I don't want people thinking I'm a drunk washing my hands with Triple Sec! What's the deal here?:confused:
  2. Thor

Thor Back. And grumpier than ever. Supporting Member

Howzit taste?
  3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Orange scent plus 70% ethanol = Cointreau

Yes, you are washing your hands with Cointreau.
  4. Linas

Linas

Lol!! Unless you have a compromised immune system, whats wrong with just washing your hands with soap and water?? Your body has an immune system for a reason.
  5. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Does it get you buzzed? :D
  6. line6man

line6man

I use the hand sanitizer when there is no water nearby to use.
  7. Thor

Thor Back. And grumpier than ever. Supporting Member

Need a shipment of water? We got plenty extra here in RI. :rollno:
  8. Blonde Bassist

Blonde Bassist

Sorry, but surely it's because it's just an alcohol based soap? Usually they smell a little bit like vodka. At least the ones in the hospitals here do any way.
  9. 20db pad

20db pad

Purell smells like really those cheap vodkas that sell for less than $10.00 and come in plastic bottles. A hand sanitizer that has an orange scent may actually be a step up.:p
  10. knumbskull

knumbskull

didn't some prisoners get hammered drunk on hand sanitizer recently? during the height of swine flu i think...

anyway i remember thinking 'well played boys'

go on, have a taste!
  11. knumbskull

knumbskull

'wait a minute, how did you get drunk on £1.50?
    'sale at the chemist. Old Spice, 25p a bottle!'

[​IMG]
  12. line6man

line6man

Nope, scent of an orange liqueur of some sort.
    The hand sanitizer I had before smelled like normal hand sanitizer alcohol, this stuff smells like booze.
  13. RWP

RWP

I swear, it's HAND SANITIZER.

[​IMG]
  14. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Sorry to be so anti PC, but to me, hand sanitizer = big fail.

I don't care what it smells like - it Feels like **** on my hands.
    It's Got to be a germ magnet.

Mark my words - someday, we Will hear in the news that
    hand sanitizer use is Worse than - using nothing.
  15. Blonde Bassist

Blonde Bassist

well if it smells like booze...:hyper::hyper::hyper:

how many shots before fun times ensue???
  16. line6man

line6man

I've always heard that you would stay healthier by not using hand sanitizer at all, because your immune system is stronger when you constantly expose it to small germs to fight off.

I have a very strong immune system actually. I just use the hand sanitizer to clean my hands when I don't have a sink nearby.
    It's more a matter of cleaning my hands from dirt/sticky stuff/etc.. than disinfecting them.
  17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Hand sanitizer should only be used in hospitals and when on the go I'd say. You do need to expose yourself to some pathogens or your immune system will never work to its full potential.

But in hospitals and whatnot, where you have to be very careful about the spread of infection, I think it's great. Plus, most of them are 70% alcohol, that tends to wipe out prettymuch everything. (heck, it's what we use for quick wipe downs in the lab). Tho we don't use gel, we just mix 99% ethanol with MiliQ water to get it to 70% strength and stick it in a spray bottle. (anyone up for some drinks?)
  18. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

I thought a lot of the alcohol content was to help it dry quickly...either way, I dislike 'em -- they dry out my hands hardcore
  19. Big Daddy Mac

Big Daddy Mac

I heard a bit on the CBC news that a hospital somewhere in Manitoba had to put away all their alcohol-based hand sanitizer because people were drinking it. Talk about cheap thrills.
  20. who_sharted

who_sharted

Try sanitizing your hands with Steel Reserve.

That should kill most living organisms, including your desire for any malt liquor for the rest of your life.

[​IMG]