1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Handle problems

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by webmonster, Jan 24, 2014.

1. webmonster

webmonster

The latest amp I've bought has handle troubles. One is missing anyway but both have chewed out their screw holes in the case.
    Case is nasty particle board, but I can't change that...

I think the handles are under engineered - just 4 screws for each for a heavy, old-school 200W valve amp.

Does anyone know if the original style handles are still available - preferably in a bigger size so I can screw into new wood? Existing screwholes are 113mm between horizontal centres and 90mm between vertical centres.
    20140125_155625sm.jpg

Or should I paint these black and fit them nicely? They have more screw holes.
    20140125_155744sm.jpg
    The case is in hardly in mint original condition - someone has already cut a round hole into the top for extra ventilation/place to spill beer into.

2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Part Express has a number of various handles, of all sizes, so just pick one!

I would not advocate the spring-loaded ones, they have rattled incessantly when I've had them.

For best results with the screws, put T-nuts on the back side and use real machine screws, not wood screws.

3. webmonster

webmonster

Thankyou! There are a couple there that look like they could fit the bill nicely.
    Hmmm - I had not thought about this - another good idea :)