1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

handwound pickup tutorial?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ILLINOX, Nov 24, 2012.

1. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

is there one? thanks guys
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  3. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

ok thats a start. thank you. i also found quite a bit of BEGINNER information at ehow.com

does anyone here make their own pickups? i understand it's long and tedious to wind 3-10,000 wraps on the pickups, but that aside, what about construction? some tried, tested, and true methods?

thanks for any help you guys can give
  4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's not that tedious. Takes about 10 minutes usually. You are not winding them by hand, but hand guiding the wire while spinning the bobbin on some sort of coil winding machine. This can be as simple as a power drill mounted on a stand.
  5. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

thanks again.

when i wrote the previous post my plan was to do it BY HAND, but since then i've seen enough simple designs using sewing machines, drills, etc...

but what can you use to count your turns?