1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Handy Fingering Chart

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ffutterman, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    I went to my first jam session recently and realized I should probably, I don't know, learn the notes on the fretboard as well as scales and chords. To help myself out, I combined a chart of the fretboard, a post about the box pattern that's often copied/pasted here, and a chart of chords arranged by key into a single-page sheet of notes. It's by no means comprehensive, but I feel like it's a quick and dirty way to at least get by.

Anyways, they're attached in both XLS and PDF format in case anyone else finds them useful. (Note: The highlighted cells show the changes from the Major scale)

Attached Files:

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Your chords by key table has errors - the vii chord in any Major key is not based on the b7th, but on the natural 7th. The chord is a minor7(b5) (which, by the way, is a much more clear description than is "half diminished"). So, the chords in that final column should be:

B-7(b5)
    F#-7(b5)
    C#-7(b5)
    G#-7(b5)
    D#-7(b5)

Also, you left out the remaining seven keys.

Good tool, however.

3. phmike

phmike

I would think some of the 3's and 7's (in minor, dominant, m7b5, etc) would be better shown as b3 and b7.