1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Handy Fingering Chart

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ffutterman, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

I went to my first jam session recently and realized I should probably, I don't know, learn the notes on the fretboard as well as scales and chords. To help myself out, I combined a chart of the fretboard, a post about the box pattern that's often copied/pasted here, and a chart of chords arranged by key into a single-page sheet of notes. It's by no means comprehensive, but I feel like it's a quick and dirty way to at least get by.

Anyways, they're attached in both XLS and PDF format in case anyone else finds them useful. (Note: The highlighted cells show the changes from the Major scale)

Attached Files:

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Your chords by key table has errors - the vii chord in any Major key is not based on the b7th, but on the natural 7th. The chord is a minor7(b5) (which, by the way, is a much more clear description than is "half diminished"). So, the chords in that final column should be:

B-7(b5)
    F#-7(b5)
    C#-7(b5)
    G#-7(b5)
    D#-7(b5)

Also, you left out the remaining seven keys.

Good tool, however.
  3. phmike

phmike

I would think some of the 3's and 7's (in minor, dominant, m7b5, etc) would be better shown as b3 and b7.