HANEWINCKEL basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by modulusan, Jan 23, 2013.

1. modulusan

modulusan Supporting Member

hello, im thinking build one 5 string bass with pete hanewinckel...

any advice about building quality, neck feel, sound (of his custom wound pickups too) will be a huge help to go ahead...

thank for the advice.
  2. malthumb

malthumb

I used to own two Hanewinckel 6-strings. If I didn't suck at 6-string or if they had been 5-strings, I would still have them. Best necks I have ever played. So much so that when I had a custom 5-string made by another luthier, I measured the Hanewinckel necks and had him scale it down to a 5-string. Eight years later I still have that bass and still love the neck.

[​IMG]
  3. modulusan

thanks for the input...lovely basses...alder-flamed maple body with pau ferro fingerboard? how you could described the sound of the barts with that wood? pete offer me the IN/out switch but he said works better with his custom pickups. I was thinking in swamp ash or mahogany body.thanks
  4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Great looking basses IMO.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Exactly. I've owned two...still have the black one (and I hate black basses, in general) with bart soapbars. The Hanes and DW ABZ 5's have the best "rolled" fingerboards IMO.

I also own a Rami built by some guy named Cliff.

Riis
  6. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    I owned a six strings fretless in 2006, if I remember well.
    Nicely built, good finish and good sound/playability. Unfortunately the builder isn't very well known so the used instruments don't hold a very high value... but this is true for all the small and medium builders, so...
    Mine had Barts on it so I can't comment on his pickups, sorry. Hope this helps. :)
  7. modulusan

thanks for the input guys...

My idea is a headless 5 string.

which kind of woods recomend me? the standard are mahogany, ash and alder. I dont know if add a top since the price will be 200 or more high and I dont think affect the sound of the bass at all.

thanks...
  8. modulusan

in your experience guys...Im thinking about the scale of the bass...

will sound ok with 33" the low b? or its more to use with high C??

I like the idea of 33" because looks like a more easy to play and comft neck but Im afraid that the low B dont sound well...
  9. ilustre

ilustre Supporting Member

If you want to do the 33" make him do the low b string come from the back of the body and an A type hipshot bridge, so you can get a better tension on the b string. I just bought a Hanewinckel signature and its one of the best sounding and looking bass and with the 9 piece neck, amazing!

Attached Files:

10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

[​IMG]

Regards
    Sam
  11. modulusan

that is a nice one ilustre, how do you find the back of the neck? I prefer flat D profile like the zons.
    congrats.
  12. ilustre

On my bass the neck is a little rounder than my zon but smother and faster.
  13. malthumb

malthumb

Ooops.....missed this question. Hard to answer, though, since I haven't had the basses for several years now. I can say NOT jazz bass, NOT p-bass. NOT Ken Smith (although both had Ken Smith bridges). Probably closer to an MTD type of a tone. The bass that I had made with the same profile has a fairly aggressive, biting tone (a lot of maple). These basses were definitely more mellow than that one is, but could get aggressive with a few knob tweaks. Not sure if that helped.
  14. ilustre

How does the in and out switch work for the pick ups, is it like an active passive switch, mine has one for each pickup but I haven't figure it out.
  15. malthumb

malthumb

This is the graphic Pete sent me when I asked about the controls on my fretted 6.

[​IMG]
  16. ilustre

Mine has two switches one for each pickup so it makes each pickup active and passive, thats really cool!
  17. ilustre

Plus one switch for the midrange frequency.
  18. ilustre

I have been playing with the switches and found out that one switch is for the midrange frequency and the other two are a single coil switch for each pickup.