1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hangin' with Peter Tork

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by iamthebassman, Aug 1, 2013.

1. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    After the Monkees show in Austin last night. Funny guy. Only played bass on one song, mostly played a red Strat and a banjo. Played really good slide on one tune. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Very cool ! I watched a show about the Monkees the other day and seemed like a very amusing fellow.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Awesome! Peter and the Monkees rule.
  4. Godfather

Godfather

Cool pix....looks like he has the same energy he did 45 years ago !
  5. joe vegas

joe vegas

great pics!
  6. rodl2005

rodl2005

Great stuff. Loved The Monkees. "A Li'l Bit Me (a li'l bit you too)" great song among many. :thumbup::cool:
  7. JimK

JimK

...wow, just re-vistied a Monkees' docu, Daydream Believers (was 1st shown on VH-1 about 10+ years ago). Not a bad job for what it is. The bonus interviews with Mickey, Davy & Peter are very good.
    That lead to watching some of their shows (on DVD) & re-visiting some of their albums.
    A lot of these shows revolved around Peter. I did not remember that.

Anyway, somwhere in there, it was said;
    Peter should have been "the guitar player" (was a better player than Mike)
    Mike should have been "the bass player" (actually played bass in a previous band)
    Davy should have been "the drummer" (had some drum experience...too short to sit behind the kit for TV, though)
    ...leaving Mickey as "the front man".

How about "Goin' Down" being used in the 5th Season of Breaking Bad?
    Very cool.
  8. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Saw them on the last tour, just great! Pricey but worth it IMO, once anyway.
  9. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    I got to meet Peter once about ten years ago. The band I was was playing in at the time did a charity event down on the Santa Monica Pier. Peter was there for some reason, and he hung around with us back stage. A very interesting and funny guy to talk to. When we went on stage, we had him come up and sit in with us on one song (playing guitar). I got to play bass behind him, a milestone in my career! Sadly, no one got a picture. He's an excellent blues guitarist.
  10. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Michael Nesmith was the real talent to emerge with The First National Band, MTV, and his Videoranch. The FNB in its brief existence did much to establish country rock as a genre, and those records are always on rotation at my house.
  11. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

I agree generally. But I also like Peter's guitar playing ("For Pete's Sake", "What Am I Doing Hangin' Round", etc).
  12. JimK

JimK

FYI: Looks like Daydream Believers is currently streaming on Netflix.
    Worth seeing, IMO.
  13. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

I disagree with switching Davy to drums. Davy WAS the Monkees frontman, and they were just his backing band (as I believe even Peter has acknowledged). As good as they might have been as musicians, Davy was the true talent (vocally) and anyone could have played backup with him.
  14. Freez

Freez

hope you're kidding; sarcasm doesn't always translate online ... mickey (and mike too for that matter) were better rock singers imo. davy's stuff was always a little showbizzy to me, bordering on vaudvillian. in any event, mickey certainly sang lead on more hits than davy did, without question.
  15. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

The FNB and Nesmith solo records are great.
  16. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

No disrespect to the memory of Davy, but he was the least talented in the band IMO.
  17. acmebass

acmebass

Disclosures:
    Owner/Designer, Acme Sound/Acme Low B
    What a treat to see him looking so well and happy.

Thanks for posting.
  18. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

I heard Mickey interviewed on KPBS (I think) recently. My recollection is that he said "The Monkeys wasn't a band, it was a TV show". They had a concept for the show and hired people to play the parts. He had never played drums. He said throughout their existence people would come up to him and tell him that they were just a commercial rip off and no where near as good as The Beatles. Some people didn't seem to get that they were actors playing musicians for a TV show. Then he said, kind of the reverse of The Beatles movies where they were musicians being actors in a movie.

I'm not saying none of the guys have any musical talent, I'm just saying according to what I recall Mickey saying, they weren't really a band.

FWIW,

Jim
  19. JimK

JimK

Yeah The Monkees was a TV Show...but there were singles & albums also being released.
    In the bonus interview footage to the Daydream Believers DVD, it was mentioned that their characters on the TV show used their real names...a novel approach which may have contributed to people thinking they were a "real" band.
    Also, if anyone noticed, the TV band never "made it" by the time the Series folded.

It seemed they did get dissed & had their balls busted...for what?
    They were no different than a lot of the '60s Pop groups that used, say the Wrecking Crew, to play the instruments on their albums.
    Examples: The Association, The Grassroots.
    Just read Howard Kaylan's book Shell Shock: The Turtles played their own instruments...'cause they were young/naïve & didn't know they weren't supposed to. :)

I would say doing Headquarters showed The Monkees functioning as "a band"...with a lotta help from ex-Turtles bassist Chip Douglas.
  20. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster

I wish I had seen a show during the Jimi Hendrix / Monkees tour.