Hannabach Nylon Strings for Classical Bass Guitar...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TapyTap, Feb 25, 2014.

1. TapyTap

TapyTap

[​IMG]

I am contemplating a potential classical bass guitar build, and this company makes custom string sets for scale lengths between 700-900mm. If you have any experience with these strings, please do share.
  2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Nylon multi-filament core strings are rarely discussed here on TB, with a notable exception, the Thomastik-Infeld Acousticore phosphor bronze strings, with which Turner Renaissance basses come equipped.
    Then, there's also some discussion on the Pyramid set for the Kala UBass (look for the megathread on the Basses subboard), made like the Hannabach contrabass sets (silver plated copper wound on nylon silk).
    I also remembered and've just dug out a post by a Spanish member who put Royal Classics contrabass strings on his ABG: they have a 6 string set but I couldn't find 4 string ones, other than a curious, contra-baritone uke (or "Chicago" tenor guitar) tuning (DGBE) one. bullT's bass itself is interesting: it appears that a number of Spanish and Portuguese makers offer ABGs in classical guitar form.

Some personal experience/relayed info/assorted ramblings from my past posts:
    -Acousticores have lower priced competition by Pyramid and La Bella;
    -so have Hannabach silver nylons - the aforementioned Royal Classics, Pyramid and La Bella, as well as Savarez (stringsbymail.com sells them in the US for little coin, and also carry Hannabach and La Bella);
    -I use Savs on my cheaparse mid-scale ABG, like them enough that I'm gonna buy them again when the current set wears out;
    -I suggested Savarez or Magma Transpositor Bass Sound sets as silverwound nyloncore alternatives for sub-short scale basses like the Kala, and a TBer tried the former on a classical guitar, and even tuned it a fourth lower than intended, with good results.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/gold-tone-microbass-talk-1032038/index17.html#post15435147
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/sub-short-scale-talk-644956/index9.html#post15435224 &ff
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/b...-alice-chains-unplugged-1053448/#post15496067

Tell us more about your project:
    6 strings?
    4?
    scaled-up classical like the Arias?
    biiig body like the Caldersmith?
    long scale, I presume?
    :hyper:
  3. TapyTap

TapyTap

Thanks for the information!

I'm a classical guitarist at heart, so, I'm pondering an actual classical guitar one octave lower. Graham Caldersmith builds some very nice contra guitars, but I am looking into old school, Spanish style construction. This will be a 4-string (E1 A1 D2 G2). Oh yes, as far as scale length goes, I'm thinking about 32"/812.8mm.

About those Savarez strings on your medium scale ABG...Is each string fairly equal in tension when tuned to pitch, or is the E-string rather floppy compared to the rest of the set?

Also, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Hannabachs might have a slightly brighter/clearer tone compared to the Savarez. Then again, there are only so many reviews that I can find on nylon core strings for contra bass guitar!
  4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Hey, I'll get back to you re:tension - I have the bass at the "rehearsal space" (kb player's place). My recollection is that the D and G feel tauter, at least. I'll follow up on this.
  5. TapyTap

TapyTap

Thanks...very nice of you! :cool:
  6. carl h.

carl h.

I'm playing Savarez on a medium scale abg tuned EADG. To me the tension seems pretty balanced across the neck, as well as up and down the fretboard. I'm a tape/flat guy on all my bass guitars, but these strings just seem right on acoustic, and the price is GREAT. I'm on my second set since I started using them and see no need to try any other strings. I went a year and a half on my first set, playing about 2 hours a week on average. I went longer than I should have, but I'm trying to find a 5 string and was hoping to turn one up before restringing. No luck there, I'm still looking. :(

I play in an acoustic group with 4 other guitars. I typically need to be plugged in to be heard because I use a light touch, but if I pull out a fat pick and work at it I can keep up. I find it easier to just plug in. We play stuff ranging from Vivaldi transcription, to Spanish traditional, Mexican folk, AM oldies, liturgical stuff from ancient to modern and even Beatles tunes. I'm mostly playing traditional bass lines, but occasionally take leads up the fretboard and play chords up there as well. The strings have never left me wanting for more, unlike my technique...