HAO Rust Ride

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jackson0321, Apr 28, 2003.

1. jackson0321

jackson0321

does anybody have any experience with this pedal?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Media:
    I know this is about a year late, but I just bought one and a full review will be posted tommorrow.

Things I have noticed so far (at low volume because my Dad is asleep) good clarity and note definition, and little to no loss of the low end.

Adam Barkley
  3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

here is my review I did a while back:

One more to add to the pot... I just recived my brand new HAO Rust Ride, and it is quite deciving... At a short glance and play it looks/sounds like a very limited overdrive, but spend some time (see my "an important thing about effects" thread) and you have one of the most virsitile sounding overdrives out there - and here is why...

First off there is not too much in the way of adjutment, only a level knob and a 3 way switch for bright, warm, and normal.

This was chalanging for myself to get around, I am a knob twidler - and there just is not any knobs for me to twidle... But then I realised that this overdrive is not about the pedal its about the 2 more important parts of the equation:

your bass
    your spicific playing dynamics

This this is over the top and dynamic at the same time (it is basicaly modled to sound like a SVT pushed to 11 and beyond...) And it simulates power tube saturation beautifully...

So as I am playing I start to figure out that this little "one trick poney" is actualy one of the most responsive and dynamic overdrives out there, but not in the way of distortion or overdrive... This thing fathfully represents yout tone, in that you can hear whats going on underneath the overdrive... The actualy overdive stays the same (witrh the exeption of tone and volume adjustment on your bass)... Its full on all the time, but every nuance of your playing style gets through...

Note bends, vibrato, taping, pickstyle, fingerstyle... Every one gets its own special treat from this delightfull little box, very interesting indeed...

So yes... If you are into knobs, forget it... If you are looking for a full on overdrive that sounds like an SVT pushed to the stars, but does your tone and dynamics justice - look no further...

Alex

ps. the 3 way switch does give very drastic tonal diferences...

Warm is very subdued with a lot of high end rolled off (sounds a bit muddy to me)

Normal is very flat response...

Bright is great for pickstyle punky / metal sounding stuff... Play near the bridge and your in snarly town usa...
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Media:
    +1

I also have a Big Muff and this is a completely different animal. The Big Muff is super fuzzy, to the point where note definition is affected and fast lines really aren't defined. Controllable with a wah a la Burton, but a little to fuzzy to play fast, intricate lines.

While the Rust Ride is very clear; very distorted, but very clear. I threw everything I had at this pedal at it did not have any problems. I think the High setting actually resembles a Muff without the overpowering fuzz. I personally love the warm setting with a pick (neck favored, with tone full on) All in all I believe this pedal will get tons of use.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PawleeP

PawleeP

anyone know, how does this rust ride compare to a loudbutton morphine dream distortion for bass?
  7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Never used the Loudbutton, but I own a Rust Ride if you have specific questions about that.
  8. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Morphine Dream is a Jet Phaser, so it will sound absolutely nothing like a Hao Rust Ride.

Also...this is a thread that is almost 7 years old... ;)
  9. PawleeP

PawleeP

Can anybody compare the Rust Ride to the EBS, Morphine Dream™ (dist/fuzz feature) or Fulltone Bassdriver (has some extra tone mods, but is basically a tube screamer.) is for trying to achieve somewhat of an the Audio Slave Cochise feel with a phaser ..
  10. PawleeP

PawleeP

thanx rratajski .. i was referring to the distortion part of the morphine and not the phaser feature..
  11. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    You can't bypass the phaser section of the MD.
  12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Exactly.

The Morphine Dream (and the AP-7 it is a clone of) are 8 stage phasers that use the fuzz circuit to enhance that sound rather than a fuzz AND phaser in one box type deal. The phaser is always on and the fuzz can be switched on and off. It's a relatively squarewave sounding fuzz.

Larry Graham is a good representation of the Jet Phaser tone:

You could certainly use it to do Cochise but obviously it would change the flavor a bit.

The Rust Ride is closer to the recorded tone but (1) it cuts lows and (2) it's a bit more aggressive/heavy of a distortion tone than the original.
  13. PawleeP

PawleeP

thanx.. however hard to believe that a almost 400.00 pedel doesn't have a true bypass switch, or on/off button.. would want one if i ever get rich , more for the nice phaser sound that it seems to have, and maybe add a fulltone bass-drive or something similar eventually or just overdrive the gain on this 06 svt cl for now.
    pp sounds like i would be wasting money on a distortion featured box that isn't appropriate for the sound I am aiming to get close too
  14. PawleeP

PawleeP

shucks, i think i misread your reply.. i think what u r saying is that u can't use it just as a fuzz or distortion! thanx Jared
  15. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

The Fulltone Bass Drive and the Rust Ride are similar in tone. I have owned both pedals. The Rust Ride has 3 presets but they are very well chosen. The Bass Drive offers more tonal range. I prefer the early version of this pedal (pre-mosfet) they have more bass and deliver a more organic range of distortion.

I have also owned a Roland Jet Phaser but this pedal has nothing to do with the two mentioned above. Even the distortion part of that pedal is a completely different tone of distortion. Much more cutting and aggressive to my ears.
  16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Right. You can use the phaser with or without the fuzz circuit engaged but you can't use the fuzz alone.
  17. PawleeP

PawleeP

sounds as if I may not need or want an additional dist pedal with a morh dream ! .. mmm
  18. PawleeP

PawleeP

PP asks on wed the 6th, when u wrote that pedal, which one is the that pedal? just wondering.. really appreciate this help!
  19. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Place distortion after the MD and keep the distortion on the low gain/tame side. The phasing and notes get lost otherwise. It actually sounds best alone.
  20. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I am not understanding your question. Sorry. Please rephrase.
  21. BoognishMang

BoognishMang