1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Happy with Squier P/J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GK Growl, Nov 21, 2012.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl

Anyone here actually happy with the stock pickups in their Squier Precision Bass Special or any other Squier P/J? I'm torn as to whether to start experimenting because it seems that a lot of people change the pickups in their Squiers but I'm not sure that it needs improvement at all. The J is noisy due to being a single coil but other that that I'm pretty impressed with the stock pickups. Thoughts?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Nope. Actually, mine was a stock Squier P that has since been modded with a J (60's position). Stock pickups and electronics were just full of mud! It now sports Active EMG's with a BTC instead of stock Tone control.

3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

If the combo works for you, it works for you. No need to change what doesn't sound broken to your ears.

4. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Buy pickups to solve specific probs that can't be solved any other way. Say your prob is you want a little more hair in your sound. I don't care what the reviews say, if your pickups are far away from the strings, first try bringing them as close as you can without rubbing when you play them (except EMGs, then you can let 'em rub). If it's too much, back off. too little, play with your pre gain in addition. Need more clarity? Back the pickups away from the strings some. Back off the pre. Try cutting EQ here and there. Don't run the action too low for your playing style. Try absolutely everything that's free before thinking of blowing money on pickups, unless it's something you can't fix any other way, like you're going to play outdoors and it might rain (EMGs for me; I have enough to do a P, J, or PJ in my junk box and a BTC somewhere in there too).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

I put new pickups in my Squier P/J because well, first, the J was single coil and noisy (duh). And second it was a "special" P/J 5er that had J's in BOTH positions! What were they thinking? So that meant it needed a P pickup as well. But obviously it "needed" different pickups. I didn't change them just because "everyone was changing them". Everything else was pretty nice.

Since a P-pickup is hum-cancelling a single coil J will never match it and will always hum. If that bugs you then change it. If not ignore the noise. I went with Dimarzio Ultra J to kill hum. I love it.

7. GK Growl

GK Growl

The only problem (and it isn't big to me) is the single coil J is a little noisy at times. I only use the basses full on or with the bridge pickup backed off a hair. I just see so many post of people replacing the stock Squier pickups that I wanted some validation to leave them in I suppose.

8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I don't own one but the stock pickups on all the Squiers I have played in stores sounded fine. We all fall prey to the mass modification hysteria that is TB from time to time and that is fine if a change brings you pleasure. Real or imagined! ;) But if you are thinking that what you have is fine, you are right. I tend to prefer hum free pickups over the "single coil sound" so if I had your bass I would be tempted to put a split coil J pickup in it and keep the stock P. Or not, I only play two places and if the hum wasn't an issue at either one I'd keep the stock J too. All three of my basses are fine at home and only the two with hum canceling pickups have been to church. One of these days I will take the single coil bass to church and see how it sounds there before I decide if it needs split coils.

So I agree that unless you have a specific issue like tone or hum that you want to address, there is no need to change any pickup no matter how far out of favor it is on TB.

Ken

9. Batmensch

Batmensch

If you like the sound as is, and the noise doesn't really bother you, that leave them alone. I've seen too many people think their bass will be so much better if they change this or that, then regret it when they do. Unless something really bugs you about something on the bass, don't fix what ain't broke.