Hard case or gig bag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ilovenofrets, Feb 17, 2014.

1. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Media:
    This may have been discussed before, but I was just wondering what everyone's preference is, and why. I know that, generaly speaking, you can't beat HSC protection, but gig bags have come a long way in recent years, and good ones can be had for not a lot of cash, though some can be pricey. We have also seen the polyfoam lightweight cases take off over the last decade or so. I personally love a good sturdy gig bag. I really appreciate the lighter weight (I know-who doesn't). And this may just be carrots, but I like to keep a designated strap for each bass, and sometimes with hard cases you don't have enough cargo room to store your strap; with almost any gig bag you have a nice sized storage pocket. So for me, a good gig bag wins. I have yet to use a polyfoam case, but I typically take two basses to a show, and more than ever, I appreciate the convenience of a good rigid double gig bag.
    So again, just curious as to how you all like to transport your axes, and why.
  2. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

Always a hard case. I grew up very poor and if you didn't take as much care as possible with your "things" you may never get another one. Old habits.
  3. JensCambre

JensCambre

when I started playing bass I was about 13 years old, so I didn't have a car to go to all the jam sessions and rehersals. Because of this I stuck with a good sollid gigbag, so I could wear it as bagpack and ride my bike everywhere. later on when I got my drivers license, and got more expencive gear I switched to cases. Don't think I'll ever switch back (unless they take a way my license that is... )
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

That said, I usually (and all bass players I know) prefer gigbag for we're all into heavy resonant basses, so gigbag is less PIA with cables or wireless or pedals to carry around

But when I had to undertake a journey worth a few dates in a row hardcases were the choice to go to protect my weapons.

I once had to thank Sheehan's Yamaha Attitude Limited II hardcase 'cause we were drivin' to Rome from Milan and, when on Tuscany hills we had a break for gasoline and some food.

Somebody saw my car (with lead guitarist and gear aboard) and the one of lead singer (with drummer and their stuff there)
    mine had darkened rear glasses, so some tried to open them to look inside and they quit tryin' takin' out anythin' for bass hardcase was placed all over the rest (heads, pedalboards and
    luggage) makin' everythin' impossible to get stolen, without stealin' the whole car

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I always use a hard case. Have never owned a gig bag. I would rather be sure that my basses are protected.
  7. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been using hard cases only since 1969. The other day, when I was sitting in my husband's pickup truck, with the hard case resting on top of me, barely able to move, I started thinking about the possibility of buying some kind of gig bag. For those rare situations when I have to squeeze into a small space, it might make sense. Otherwise, I like the protection a hard case offers.
  8. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I use a gig bag. I have one that holds 2 basses and all my cords and extras. I have hard cases but prefer the gig bag. You get more stuff in one case.
  9. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

If anyone else, including other members of my band, will be touching my bass for any reason, including "just moving it over there", a hard case.
  10. PimasterPearson

PimasterPearson

I use a hard case, but then again I don't bring a backup to gigs. If I got a cheap backup bass, I would probably keep it in a heavily padded gig bag.
  11. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

I can't imagine how a gig bag even works. Wheres the neck/tuner protection?!
    Lol.
    I have always used hard cases and will never be switching. Even my cheap (in the grand scheme of things) basses that I gig with are priceless to me and I won't be taking chances with them anytime soon. I have a gig bag/backpack to carry my "stuff".
  12. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I have a hard case (flight case) for my Alembic and a polyfoam case for my custom Pushic. Both are great protection. I have never used a gig bag.
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

It all depends on who is carrying your axe.
    I have no roady so I like a quality Gig bag.
    If I were on the road a lot the hard case would come out.
  14. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Can I say both? for different purposes? I live in london and do a lot of travlling around on public transport to teach and to rehearsal rooms where we most often rent gear and for that I use a gig bag (though mine is beat and in need of replacing). Try getting a hardcase on the tube at rush. Seriously.

But for gigging/touring i'll always take my hard case. It just stops any potential damage from punters/bandmates etc who may accidentally knock or drop something or spill something. Accidents happen at venues and stuff so its better to have the full hard case on for that.

But as I can only vote for one I probably uise my batteres old gig bag more often these days so it gets my vote.
  15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I have all three. I only use gig bags when gigging.

I have hard cases for home storage. Most of my basses came with their own hard case and a few came with the light foam case.

Look at a more expensive gig bag like a Mono, iGig, Access, or Reunion Blues. There is a reason why people use them.
  16. Kustom_Thunder

Kustom_Thunder Supporting Member

I carry my warwick thumb in a Washburn gig bag. A cupped weeks ago I was in a vary nasty car crash in a full size pickup truck. My bass bounced all over the cab. When I pulled it out to check on it thar wasn't a scratch on it ant it was still in tune. Moral of the story is with a bag that has good enuf padding your bass cans go thought hell and play just fine
  17. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

I have used gig bags only for years. I sell the cases. It may sound counter intuitive but I am more careful with a gig bag.

And the handle has never broken off one while walking.
  18. hawaiianboui

hawaiianboui

I use gig bags...not $20 gig bags but professional grade bags. People do respect instruments in hard cases...they knock them over and throw them around. They tend to baby instruments in bags.
  19. RumbleSteve

RumbleSteve

When extra care is a must, Better care is inevitable. I would LOVE to slap some stickers on a hardshell, but thats about it. My gig-bag is versital and light. But on the other hand, a $1.2k bass had better come with a hardshell or we have no deal.
  20. Major Softie

Major Softie

I voted polyfoam. Almost all my cases are HSC, but I recently got a Roadrunner polyfoam case for my G&L, and I am incredibly impressed with it. Big external pockets that rival the flexibility of the best gig bags, and protection that rivals many of the best HSC's. It doesn't have the protection of the SKB flight cases, but it is amazingly light, offers real protection, and costs less than the better gig bags. Probably better thermal protection than most HSC's as well. I wouldn't want a semi to run over it, but it's probably the best case I've got if it were going to fall off a semi.

No way I would ever buy another gig bag now that I've experienced this.
  21. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Media:
    These are the.gig bags I was refering to. Nice, sturdy high quality bags like the ones that Carvin and Spector sell. I do have hard cases if I ever need to use them, but I just love (and trust) my bags for transporting my axes safely to rehearsals and gigs.