1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

hard case!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kevibass, Nov 20, 2012.

1. kevibass

kevibass

about a month ago i was driving home from a gig. had my 1978 Fender Jazz bass in the back seat. i bought that baby in '78 when i was 18, so now you know i'm a bit of geezer. anyway..
    i was with my lady and we were plowed into by a drunk driver, flipped, rolled, spun on the highway for over 700 ft. saw my life flash before me, but we both escaped serious injury.
    my bass is ok.. the case got a bit f'ed up but i can't tell any difference with my bass. as i was being loaded in the ambulance i was shouting for anyone to GET MY BASS!
    so.. wear your seatbelts, don't drive drunk, travel anywhere with a hard case if you value your instrument.
    Grateful to be alive.:bassist:

2. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Wow, glad to her you guys are ok.

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Great story! Glad you and your lady are ok. And the Bass!

I always believed if you have a bass you love...don't cheap out on the case!

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Did the bass go for the ambulance ride with you? :)

... glad you're all ok ...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Glad you're both alright. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

7. the wako kid

the wako kid

now you have to go on musicians friend and write a good review for whatever company made that case,I'm sure you average tweed/tolex case would have gotten smashed to pieces in a crash like that. congratulations on saving the bass.

8. Billy K

Billy K

good news your ok.

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I'm glad you guys are okay. The bass, too. ;)

10. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Seriously, I am glad to hear you are well, as is your lady. Good God that must have been scary as hell!!

On another note, I think that you feel good enough to post this story on TB, and actually are talking about the Bass (which even a 78 Fender is far less precious than either you or your lady's lives) also speaks to the quality of your cars build, and the importance of seatbelts.

On the more trivial note, yeah man, I am really glad to hear the case kept the guitar safe. But I also think you got kinda lucky that thing didn't hurt one of you two. So I second the notion to go onto MF, Zzounds and anywhere else and spam a high rating of that case.

To your list of do's I would add when possible travel with gear in the trunk so you don't have the risk of big heavy flying debris.

Glad to hear you guys are OK!

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

+1...

- georgestrings

12. jlepre

jlepre

I wish I had the room to use my hard case for my EBMM SR5, but I just don't. I pray every time I drive to a gig that I never get into an accident. Plus my lightweight Epi UL-115 cabs would probably kill me anyway.

13. blastoff99

blastoff99

Wow, that's scary.

So glad you're all ok.

Car: can be replaced. (Here's hoping the drunk had insurance that wasn't expired, etc.) Bass: harder to replace. You: impossible to replace. My best 'post-car-accident' advice is do lots of stretching exercises, spend time in a pool if possible, and *don't sign anything.*

You have something big to be thankful for this year....

14. spufman

spufman

Glad you're okay. Seatbelts work on instruments and amplifiers, too! Started strapping my stuff in when I had kids, but I don't want to get bonked either.

15. kevibass

kevibass

thank you all for your well wishes.

16. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Good to hear you're ok! A why I'm proud to be a teetotaler.

I will also carry my hardshells around more often thanks to you saying this :)